• Planning a trip from New York to San Diego

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by acelaman

I'm thinking of traveling from New York to San Diego via Amtrak. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on travel time, accomodations etc.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

by Greg Moore

Best bet is to go to http://www.amtrak.com and punch in some numbers.

Depending where you are in NY you'll most likely take the Lake Shore Limited or the Three Rivers to Chicago. (I can speak for the LSL, very nice train). That'll be an overnight trip.

In Chicago you'll change trains and most likely would need the Southwest Chief. That'll leave in the late afternoon and you should arrive in LA two mornings hence.

From there I'm not sure the best route to San Diego, but it's possible.

Remember, these trains can run late, so don't plan time critical stuff. Otherwise, you'll see some gorgeous parts of the country and should have a great trip. (and I recommend a sleeper for at least one night, if not all of them if you can afford it.)

by RMadisonWI

Greg Moore wrote:In Chicago you'll change trains and most likely would need the Southwest Chief. That'll leave in the late afternoon and you should arrive in LA two mornings hence.

From there I'm not sure the best route to San Diego, but it's possible.
If the idea is to take an all-rail journey, the connection to San Diego would be one of the many daily Pacific Surfliner trains.

Overall, the journey should take four days/three nights.

However, if time really isn't an issue, and you'd rather see more scenery, there are a couple of alternatives to the Chief. You can either take the California Zephyr (arguably the most scenic train in the country) to Emeryville, overnight there and take the Coast Starlight down to LA, then connect to a very late Pacific Surfliner, or you could take a San Joaquin inland from either Sacramento or Emeryville (I'm not 100% familiar with the schedule of that route), with a bus from Bakersfield to LA.

Or, you could take the Empire Builder out of Chicago into Portland, and connect to the Starlight from there.

If you are going to take Amtrak both ways, I'd recommend trying a different route going and returning.

There's also the possibility of taking the Crescent to New Orleans, overnighting there, and taking the Sunset Limited to LA. However, that train hasn't been doing to well lately, on-time wise (you can read other threads on this list for further details). If being on time isn't as big of an issue as enjoying the ride, then that could also be an option.

by Irish Chieftain

From there I'm not sure the best route to San Diego
That would be in the timetable marked "Pacific Surfliner".

All Amtrak timetables listed here.

by mlrr

I've done that exact trip during my first Amtrak Experience. I was fortunate enough to do it just before they eliminated the "Desert Wind" which seperated from the Zephyr at Salt Lake City and headed for LA. My Grandmother and I got off in Fullerton and caught what I guess was the San Diegan. This was in the Afternoon around sunset. The train goes right up along the coast in many areas along the route and I felt it was the perfect ending to 4 day, 3 night rail journey. There was an awsome view of the Sun setting over the Pacific Ocean.

Today, if you are concerned with time, I would say take the LSL. It's a nice trip up the Hudson River in the Afternoon and you shouldn't have to wait as long for the Southwest Chief as opposed to taking the Three Rivers (If memory serves). I would say about 3 to 4 hours tops (that's if everything is running on time of course, lol).

Just my two cents, lol

I hope everything works out and enjoy your trip!!!!
Last edited by mlrr on Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by LI Loco

If you go to California on the SW Chief, your connection for San Diego is at Fullerton, about an hour south of Los Angeles. It's a decent-size intermediate station, and all the trains going to San Diego stop there.