• CSX SD40 4617

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by TerryC

What is to become of SD40 4617 once it is retired? Does a museum already have a eye on it? I read on a website that this SD40 and the dozen others can be retired without a moment's notice, is this true? Will this locomotive be retired in the next 5 years or so?

keep asking keep learning

by charlie6017

While the 4617 is a rare unit these days, I would'nt think it's an extremely special engine is it? One would think that it just may be sold to a shortline or just scrapped, maybe?

by railohio

Other than the age of the paint scheme there isn't anything special about this unit. I bet there are some SD40-2s on Union Pacific and BNSF that are just about as old and still have their original paint. I'm sure there's a shortline or two out there that has units from the '60s it purchased new still in the same paint. Besides, the unit looks pretty ragged now, it's not even worth a photo anymore.

by AmtrakFan

Yes many BN/BNSF units still have thier old paint.

by crazy_nip

its going to be cut up and turned into razors like the rest of them...

by Brad Smith

crazy nip,
I enjoy your replys to these types of questions. I'll be voting for you in 'Ought Eight. :-D

by ACLfan

TerryC,

Are you aware of some special feature, quality or circumstance that makes CSX # 4617 "special"?

Yes, it can be retired when CSX management decides to. It may sit on a deadline for x amount of time before disposition, or a lot quicker.

Since CSX # 4617 does not have dash - 2 technology, I expect that it will be retired within a year or so, depending upon the "need" to keep it in active service.

Except for the paint scheme, there is nothing special about this particular unit, and the paint scheme could be redone at any time! Yes, CSX does have a knack for repainting units that they plan to retire soon. It must be that the repainting schedule is based on a fixed time frame / opportunity to repaint.

Keep in mind that CSX has over 100 other SD40 units, based on outward appearance, that are currently in active service. These are former SD40 units that were internally upgraded with Dash - 2 technology and a few other changes, with virtually no changes in their outward appearance. They were assigned road numbers in CSX's 8301 - 8400 + number series.

ACLfan

by TerryC

I am perfectly aware that quite frankly, 4617 is a old, dirty, and tired unrebuilt SD40. I still like it though.

keep asking keep learning

by Avro Arrow

CSX is pretty power short thse days, I wouldn't count on it being retired soon unless it needs some pretty hardcore maintenance done on it.

by Conrail

When its retired it should go to the Baltimore & Ohio Rail Museum. I don't know if they would take a Chesapeake & Ohio locomotive.

by Eric Kreszl

I agree. This locomotive is a typical EMD SD40. But its remarkable that its still in its C&O paint. I think that the CSX on the nose adds a unique touch to the C&O Paint on the side of the locomotive.

I personally think that this a unique locomotive.

Eric