• NYO&W F-units and other diesels

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by sallenparks

Can anyone tell me the disposion of there F's I've looked around and it seems like ERIE got a few B&O got some and SN(WP) got some but what happened to the rest.

by umtrr-author

A synopsis from "The O&W in the Diesel Age" by Bob Mohowski (page 95):

FT's 601, 801 to 805 and 808 were supposed to go to Mexico, went to the NYC instead after many years and were traded in.
806 and 807 went to the B&O.

F3's 501 to 503 went to the Sacramento Northern (WP).

F3's 821 and 822 went to the Erie and then the Erie Lackawanna.

by pennsy

Hi All,

It is interesting to note how many F units are still around, and incredibly, still running. I guess EMD had its head on straight, in those days.

Many tourist RR's, probably some in your area, are running steamers, if they are lucky enough to have one, but if they don't they undoubtedly have a first generation Diesel usit to lead their tourist train. And that is where you will find a restored, preserved and running F unit. Great experience and you won't believe the sounds coming from that engine. I guess I am sort of prejudiced, but I would prefer to hear that steamer, panting away. But the howl of a first generation diesel, well that could start the heart beating wildly as well.

by sallenparks

Thanks for the help.

by umtrr-author

Agree with your F-unit assessment, Pennsy.

What I find amazing as well is that there are still O&W diesels around, although not the F's. As far as I know, the Susquehanna still operates one of the switchers (although I haven't seen it at Cortland lately-- it was visible from I-81 up on the hill) and the Adirondack Railroad brought one of the 44 tonners home from Utah.