• Hoosac Tunnel Route Ruling Grade

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by drayrr

The steepest grades on the former B&M main line between Ayer and Mechanicville are found east of the Connecticut River on Ashburnham Hill. The maxiumum westbound grade up Ashburnham Hill is 1.19% in South Ashburnham with most of the grade on the hill just over 1%.

Eastbound, the maximum grade on Ashburham Hill is a very short piece 1.02% but most of the grade is about 0.75%.

West of the Connecticut River and East Deefield, the steepest grade westbound is a very short piece of 1.25% grade in the own of Conway with most of the grade in this area under 1%. It levels off near Shelburne Falls and from there to the Hoosac Tunnel is mostly 0.5% or less with a few short pieces up to 0.90%. Eastbound out of Mechanicville towards the Tunnel the maximum grade is 0.95% but most of the grades are in the range of 0.5% to 0.75%.

The former B&A (now CSX line) over the Bershires to the south has a maximun grade of about 1.73% westound and 1.5% eastbound.

Hope that helps.

by B&MYoshi

Yes, that's exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.

You brought up a good point with the B&A line. The idea that the B&M Line has better gradients than the B&A line is the entire justification for my planned fictional railroad from ED to Worcester.

by NHRDC121

According to ConRail route characteristic chart, ruling grade westbound on the old B&A is 1.65%, just east of MP 128.

by Guilford Guy

B&MYoshi wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.

You brought up a good point with the B&A line. The idea that the B&M Line has better gradients than the B&A line is the entire justification for my planned fictional railroad from ED to Worcester.
ackk copy cat

by B&MYoshi

Guilford Guy wrote:
B&MYoshi wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.

ackk copy cat
What? Copy cat? Um, I am sure that between the two of us I came up with this specific idea after voicing my desire to model ED after settling into Worcester, and I don't appreciate being falsely referred to in this manner of a copycat. If you've got an issue of ideas (which there is no reason to have), talk to me seperately instead of demeaning me publically. Thanks.