• New York & Eastern files for abandonment 6/24

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by crij

Hello all,

Any news about the NY&ER?

Last word was that they were having trouble with the local government, has this been cleared, or has the railroad been pushed out?

The following questions are if NY&ER still exists:

Are they still Trans-loading for their Hospital Branch customers in the yard?

Any sign of the chainsaws on the Hospital branch?

Rich

by Otto Vondrak

It appears that the NYER project has met such stiff opposition from local government and potential customers (!) that the project has been put on hold indefinitley.

-otto-
  by b&m617

No brush cutting or any other activity. No word as to whats going on. I know of at least 2 customers who want service.

Anyone???

by RS-3

Not good.

A June 29th filing with the STB for discontinuance of service by NY&E and abandonment by CSX for 4.7 miles of track bertwen milepost 0 and mile 3.2, and from mile 29.5 to milepost 31 due to the "lack freight and no prospects", citing a joint marketing effort with CSX as being "for naught". I asume this is the line, and the whole line?

RS

by DutchRailnut

Hmm maybe you could point me to STB filing, cause I can't find it ???
http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/Readin ... s?OpenView

by DutchRailnut

Thanks RS-3
http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 211461.pdf

its over guys no traffic no lease and abandoned when decision is made by STB.

by Otto Vondrak

Holy crap... this report is 74 pages long. Would you believe what it takes to discontinue service on a four mile stretch of railroad that never saw service? Reports filed with the EPA, the US Dept. of Commerce, the USGS, Environmental Impact Statements, notices to the State of New York, Ducthess County, and multiple notices to officials of the Town of Poughkeepsie, the USDA, the National Park Service, US Army Corps of Engineers, NYSDOT, and the list goes on and on and on. The historical outline is interesting (gives a good history of the line), since the abandonment process will mean that rails will be lifted, there is a report filed with the National Register of Historic Places outlining any structures that may be of historical importance...

-otto-

by joshuahouse

I can understand having to tell the Corp of Engineers, USGS the city the state the county, and everyone listed there except the National Park Service. It there some small relatively obscure national park along the line or something?

by JBlaisdell

You may all be interested to know that Marist College has been trying to buy properties all along the RR for campus expansion. I'm sure that has had a big impact on business prospects. Marist has options on several already.

Conrail did what it could to ensure no shortline could exist in the branch. It drove away business and removed tracks from Smith St yard. There had been a double run-around, but switches were yanked forcing the use of 2 locos (one on each end) and all shunting be done by the river.
  by b&m617

Too bad..i had hi hopes to see this make a comeback. They fought the owner tooth and nail; and the NYSDOT actually told him not to bother. this would have created jobs and had potential. IMHO..

RIP hospital branch

derail

by nysw3636

Maybe I missed something here, but if there are customers wanting service on this line, then the STB will not allow the abandonment of this line, no???

ASD

by DutchRailnut

There are no online customers, but some want a raildistribution center in town of Poughkeepsie, a thing the Mayor does not want in city but at waterfront near mainline, to keep trucks out of city.