Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Love Train

Because you're coming back to where you belong next weekend: The Lexington Avenue Express!

No, its not all over, unfortunately. The (2) is running down 7th Avenue local and up Lex express. The (5) is running down Lex express as usual but up 7th Av local. The (1) goes to Chambers St only. And no (3) in Brooklyn (14th St only), so the (4) will scrape the Eastern Parkway wall. But at least there will be express service on the West Side. And on the East Side, things will be...gasp...BACK TO NORMAL!!! Thank God!

by arrow

That's a funny subject you have for the post. :P

by Love Train

arrow wrote:That's a funny subject you have for the post. :P
Funny, yes, but unfortunately true, because the (4) train has had to kiss the wall every weekend since how long now? It's been going on for what feels like forever and the (4) can now go back to where it belongs i.e. flying down the Lexington Av express tracks and not trudging down the local tracks like a little pussy. I better get my @$$ to New York before it happens again (perhaps next summer, though God forbid, I sure hope not).

by arrow

True, it has been awhile (and on the most used line), but at least they had enough trains running all the time.
  by Tom Curtin

When, oh WHEN, for God's sake, is normal #2/3 express service on weekends going to resume? I saw it posted that the eternal trackwork project would end Nov. 13 but I do not believe this has happened. Does ANYBODY have a RELIABLE date? Since I live on the upper west side this is a major nuisance.

My wife has a hypothesis that the change to all-local service on weekends is really permanent, they're just not telling us

by ryanov

I've been hating it too as I attend church on the upper west side (I take it to 72nd). Service is still better than the 8th Ave line, but it's still very unpleasant.
  by Love Train

Tom Curtin wrote:When, oh WHEN, for God's sake, is normal #2/3 express service on weekends going to resume? I saw it posted that the eternal trackwork project would end Nov. 13 but I do not believe this has happened. Does ANYBODY have a RELIABLE date? Since I live on the upper west side this is a major nuisance.

My wife has a hypothesis that the change to all-local service on weekends is really permanent, they're just not telling us
Oh, its back. The 2 and 3 are express once again on weekends, and it will remain that way until next summer. So enjoy it while it lasts, because before you know it, all the nonsense of this summer will be back.
  by b&p rupture

Tom Curtin wrote:My wife has a hypothesis that the change to all-local service on weekends is really permanent, they're just not telling us
Uh, not exactly. Ridership would have to dramtically drop off first, as the most important benefit of express service is the increased capacity with the addded track. Particuliarly true on the IRT lines, with the smaller equipment there. All three lines on 1 track (1, 2, & 3) greatly reduces the number of trains per hour through the area. (Also applies on the 4, 5, & 6 lines.)