• 2008 WMATA proposed budget plans

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Robert Paniagua

2008 proposed budget would reduce expenses, reward SmarTrip use, raise fares

Metro customers could be rewarded for paying with their SmarTrip card, given discounts to ride Metrorail and Metrobus during off-peak periods or asked to pay a “congestion fee” under a budget proposal submitted to the Metro Budget Committee today. The proposed budget also calls for a fare increase--the first increase in three years-- at a rate comparable to the rate of inflation.

Click here to see the rest of the story

by Sand Box John

I didn’t post a massage on this subject at the time hit the media primarily because the budgetary aspect of WMATA’s operation is not my area of expertise.

Metro Proposed FY 2008 Budget Executive Summary (1.97 mb PDF)

Related stories in The Washington Post

D.C. Area's Effort Against Crowded Roads a Test Case Peak-Time Fees Designed To Alter Commuters' Habits 12 25 2006

Metro: Use SmarTrip or Pay More Plan Pushes Debit Card, Includes Fare Increase for Cash Users 12 24 2006

Metro Freezes Hiring in Many Areas to Shore Up Budget 12 19 2006

Rush-Hour Metro Fares May Rise as Much as $2.10 Broad Plan Aims To Reduce Deficit, Improve Service 12 14 2006

Some Metro Riders May Reach for Car Keys Fare Hikes a Last Resort, Board Says 12 15 2006

For those interested in reading posts in a WMATA rant forum, point your web browser to MetroRiders.Org: Welcome to the forum

by Robert Paniagua

Wow, thanks for those links, I didn't know so many people ranted about this new fare proposal.

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Wow, thanks for those links, I didn't know so many people ranted about this new fare proposal.

What's really sad is the vast majority of the people both transit users and non transit user don't have a clue as to how and why the fares structure is configured the way it is. They also don't know that WMATA doesn’t have a region wide dedicated subsidy funding source.