• FGLK derailment in Auburn 7/8

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by RailBus63

A westbound Finger Lakes Ry. train derailed at the Route 38 crossing in Auburn on Thursday 7/8. Seven out of the 13 cars left the track - one car partially fell into the Owasco Outlet waterway (along with the rolls of cardboard it was carrying) and a second car ended up upside-down in a lot next to the tracks.

More details here: http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststanda ... 146891.xml

JD

by fglk

Mess was completeley cleaned up by 9:30 Friday Morning. Otsego Auto Scrapers cut one car up today and started on the railbox. They should have it done by Saterday 7/10. Pick'n'pull baught the cars and will send them to Nucor for melt down. The cause of the derailment was found as well.
Starting about 10 feet to the west of the crossing the rail split and the 4th car landed between the rails cars 5 and 6 rolled over cars 7-9 derailed but stayed up right. The price for supplys were somewheres around $100,000.00-$200,000.00 the clean up with winters rigging ran about $149,000.00 makeing the price over all any wheres from $249,000.00 to $349,000.00 not shore what the repairs of bridge pier and parking lot will run.
Last edited by fglk on Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

by crrip99

HATE TO SAY THIS, BUT A 7 CAR DERAILMENT IS NOT GONA COST THE FINGERLAKES RAIL WAY 1 TO 5 MILLION DOLLARS. THATS KINDA STEEP. A COUPLE SECTIONS OF PANEL TRACK , COST OF CUTTING UP 2 CARS, PLUS PAYING THE OWNERS OF THE CARS FOR REPLACEMENT, RERAILING AND PROBALY CHANGEING THE WHEEL SETS OUT OF THE 5 OTHER DERAILED CARS AND THE COST OF THE LABOR IS NOT GONA BE 1 TO 5 MILLION. MAYBE $100,000 TO 200,000 IF THERE WAS DAMAGE TO ANY OF THE ROADCROSSING EQUIPMENT. IF IT COST 5 MILLION FOR EVERY DERAILMENT CSX WOULD BE BANKRUPT BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK! LOL.

by RailBus63

According to an article in Saturday's Syracuse Post-Standard, the repair cost is estimated at $100,000.

http://www.syracuse.com/search/index.ss ... l?syrnecay

JD

by DutchRailnut

you mean fglk again has his facts not matching the real facts ?

by fglk

Hay there still not done cleaning up that MESS the bridge pir needs to be repaired or replaced think about it there over 100+ years old. Damages to the parking lot need to be fixed thats not cheap eather. The west side of the crossing is still a little out of gage but useable work begins in a few weeks. Theres still damage to the bridge ties. The Bridge its self has to be inspected befor anything can run on it to make shore that it was no knocked out of gage.
If you don't know what the price tag will amount to after all that plus adding that all together with man hours, supplys, and equipment to the price tag that the news paper reports its going to run more than that. The price was quoted at about 5 Million form everything that happened from Day 1 to the end of the full amount of the repairs i.e. bridge, bridge piers, man hours, supplys, equipment, parking lot, equipment leases. So if thats been left out of your small minds then shut the hell up. I knew what caused the derailment the day it happened. All of this was part of my job with Sperry Rail Service.
The derailment was linked to a problum in the same area last summer If you were not here for that derailment then you know NOTHING about track inspection or repairs.

by rcbsd45

If this guy types the way he inspected tracks and recorded data for SRS, God help us all. I said it before and I'll say it again. If you can type somewhat coherently, then maybe your posts would be taken a bit more seriously. Until then, you need to improve your skills to get your point across. I know of several people who enjoy your posts, not for the content but for your apparent lack of typing skills, and lets face it, that's not a distinction to be proud of. I'm no expert on derailment costs, but I'm gonna guess that littl "OOPS" on the Finger Lakes is gonna cost a high five, low six figure amount. But that's what there is insurance for. BTW, you werent the one that inspected and approved that track for SRS, did ya?
Inquiring(and grammatically correct) minds want to know!

by Otto Vondrak

Let's all take a deep breath folks.

fglk- just try to watch your spelling... we appreciate your contributions, but people get frustrated when they have to navigate through so many typing errors to get to what you are trying to say.

rcbsd45 - you make a good point, but no need to attack the guy.

-otto-

by rcbsd45

Otto, point taken, and acknowledged... I was trying to highlight his grammatical errors, and probably could have chosen better words to do so. I still stand by the content of my message in that better grammar makes for better reading and even more respctability.

by nessman

Someone who worked on a Sperry car doesn't make him an expert in railroading nor does he have the ability to accurately estimate the cost of a derailment cleanup (unless he's done job costing in a previous life).

In most cases, insurance covers the cost.

by LCJ

nessman wrote:In most cases, insurance covers the cost.
Usually with very high deductibles. Most Class I roads are mostly self-insured up to that extremely high deductible for these kinds of incidents. Insurance for the full amount of the loss, even for a small operation, would be very expensive indeed!

by sd80mac

nessman wrote: In most cases, insurance covers the cost.
hmm... if so... how come they dont cover amtrak's bad-order cars that got into wrecks that amtrak doesn't have $$ to fix it up.

When I learned that amtrak was in servere(sp) shortage of cars because of several wrecks they had lately last fall, I always thought that they have insurance to pay for it. Also most wrecks occured due to bad tracks that Class 1 RR would pay for the damage. Why didn't amtrak get $$ from Class 1 RR's insurance????

ken

by sd80mac

fglk wrote:The price was quoted at about 5 Million form everything that happened from Day 1 to the end
I find it hard to believe... I looked at photos on website. IT IS NOT BIG MESS! it is just a quick sweep job. There is no way the cost get to that high as you stated.

SF's runaway train down the Cajun Pass couple years ago excessed 1 million dollars, not include lawsuits..

1 million dollars or more job tend to be for these MAJOR wrecks, not something like for "HO scale" derailment.

If you still stick with your 5 Million dollars, I would like to see that in black and white paper.

ken

by Otto Vondrak

Can we at least agree that there was a derailment, and it will cost "a lot of money" to clean up and repair?

-otto-