• MSTS Multiplayer?

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

by pcdude9190

I think I heard about some sort of Multiplayer on the VNERR website a while back. Is this true? is there some sort of ultility that will allow users to ride the rails together?
  by Gner43

i doubt it, if there was, it would be quite good, but i wouldn't think there would be much to do. Just doing activities etc.

by pgengler

There's basically a "simulated" multiplayer, but there isn't any built-in multiplayer functionality.

I've never tried it, but from what I've read about it, what's basically done is that one person is the "dispatcher" and everyone else is running trains on the route (in Explore Route mode). The dispatcher tells them how far they can go, and they relay when they reach certain points. All 'meets' are imagined ones, since you won't actually see any of the other trains that are 'running' with you.

by Long Island 7285

a true multi player MSTS would need to be online based, and also installed in each computer. all aliasing will be via the net for engiens and cars that you may not have but will be in the activity. something in the activity editor will need rewriting to make it so ALL trains are "players" Traffic well be another player. I think it could be done but will need a lot of technical work from kuju/microsoft as they devloped the game. B

A on line version of MSTS would make it more "interactive" and realistic. the computer is not operating traffic you on line co worker is. and when you pass traffic you can see the lights dim, horn blow, bell ringing and more.

by cifn2

there was a mod for Microsoft Flight Sim so why not train sim lol

by gerr

There is a new sim being Made by Train Artsian that allows two players, but no one has heard a thing about it in a year. :wink:

by Milwaukee_F40C

Someone made a mod for Grand Theft Auto for online multi player, which it originally did not have. www.mtasa.com I have no idea how it works, I don't have the PC version.

Train Artisan may have shut down.

by cifn2

the new Flight Sim X is multiplayer allowing one to be a ATC (Air Traffic Controller) or fly and be told where to go. I think that multi-player games are in and up and coming.

by GP40MC 1116

That would be fun for MSTS, but i have a funny suspision that I would be pulling into Washington DC and have some idot starting out on the bumper to leave when im on the same track, Yikes! :-D

by Mike Roque

It would be cool to either run trains or be a dispatcher/RTC with lots of players...imagine simulating, say, a real commuter railroad's rush hour schedule, for example. That could be an interesting MMORPG that I haven't seen anyone try implementing yet.

by cifn2

right now multiplayer games are really popular.

by roee

Mike Roque wrote:It would be cool to either run trains or be a dispatcher/RTC with lots of players...imagine simulating, say, a real commuter railroad's rush hour schedule, for example. That could be an interesting MMORPG that I haven't seen anyone try implementing yet.
I've always thought that would be cool. I know they have flight simulator that does that. I think it would have to be part of a new game as the dispatcher part isn't built into MSTS at all, and some issues would have to be worked around, like what happens when someone parks a train on a crossover, and then stops it there, but doesn't log off the game. So there would need to be higher level controls where you could pull someone off the tracks. And maybe a way to put the train into auto pilot to go to the bathroom or something, since you couldn't pause the game if it was a realtime sim with others playing.

But all in all, I think a multi player MSTS would be great.