• Arnald ALCO S-2

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by fglk

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to quite down an Arnald ALSO S-2 I have tryed everything from gear oil to greece anyone else have any ideas?

by jnewman

There was an article on this in "N Scale" magazine, November/December 2002 issue. I have it issue somewhere, but it's lost for now. There was also an article in "N Scale" in the July/August 1991 issue, which I also have, but it's lost too.

The gist of the 2002 article was that you need to take the model apart and file notches in the circuit board where the gear column from the truck passes through it. Some of the noise is caused by the gears clicking against the circuit board. I did this and it was an improvement. It's still not the most quiet model aroud.
The 1991 article was about fiddling with the little springs that go from the motor to the truck gearing, but I don't remember the details.

If I can find 'em, I'll put up some more details.

by fglk

Thanks for the info I'll try this out and see what happens. I might have the 2002 MR Mags around here my self but I have to search for them as well.