Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by asc99yhs

From Aurora Beacon News

more links
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beac ... S1.article
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beac ... S1.article

AURORA -- If you're one of the hundreds of people who race to make the train at the Aurora Transportation Center every day, running up the grassy hill near Walter Payton's Roundhouse Restaurant, you're in for a surprise next week.

Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad has announced plans to construct a metal fence along the western edge of the tracks, joining with the existing fence to the south near Comfort Suites and effectively cutting off access everywhere but the official entry point at the Transportation Center, on the other side of the Roundhouse.

Railroad spokesman Steve Forsberg said the fence is intended to keep people from walking onto or over the tracks.

"This will hopefully prevent people from unsafely and illegally cutting across the tracks," he said. "We've had a persistent trespassing problem there."

The railroad's security employees have seen people in large numbers crossing the tracks, and even stepping on the rail, which could cause serious injury, Forsberg said.

"That's one of the first safety measures you learn," he said. "We've observed a lot of unsafe behavior."

Forsberg said the railroad has worked with the city of Aurora to deter trespassers, using both its own security force and the Aurora Police Department. But the problem has persisted.

The fence, he said, will force people to use the designated stairways.

Police Lt. Brian Olsen said the department has received few calls about trespassing on the train tracks, although he noted that the railroad's own security force likely deals with those incidents more often.

Roundhouse owner Scott Ascher considers the planned fence an inconvenience, especially for the commuters who buy parking spaces in his lot. Ascher said he sells spots for $80 a month, and allows people to park there while they take the train into the city.

Ascher said he sees many more people take the shortcut to the train tracks as well.

"I see 200 people a day go across those tracks," he said.

Ascher said he will open the Roundhouse four hours and 45 minutes early, at 6:15 a.m., to allow morning commuters the chance to cut through and avoid the walk around to the Transportation Center. Ascher is even offering an "inconvenience coupon" for a free Starbucks coffee at the restaurant through December.

Forsberg said the new fence, which should be erected next week, is part of a joint project with Metra that will see the north and south platforms of the station renovated.

"I think, in the end, this will be for everybody's benefit," he said.
  by doepack

asc99yhs wrote:Roundhouse owner Scott Ascher considers the planned fence an inconvenience, especially for the commuters who buy parking spaces in his lot. Ascher said he sells spots for $80 a month, and allows people to park there while they take the train into the city.

Ascher said he sees many more people take the shortcut to the train tracks as well.

"I see 200 people a day go across those tracks," he said.

Ascher said he will open the Roundhouse four hours and 45 minutes early, at 6:15 a.m., to allow morning commuters the chance to cut through and avoid the walk around to the Transportation Center. Ascher is even offering an "inconvenience coupon" for a free Starbucks coffee at the restaurant through December
I know he's just trying to pacify his customers, but to do so at the expense of safety; I don't know, something about that doesn't sit right with me...

by byte

Makes sense to me. He'll be in there after the train has left on the first day the fence is up with a dozen or so disgruntled commuters who got caught off-guard by the fence, just raking it in until the next train departs. "Yeah, I think the fence is ridiculous. The railroad is way out of line. That'll be $5.45."

by Tadman

If I read this correctly, he's allowing people to use his restaurant as a new shortcut method, because the fence has eliminated the old shortcut method. I can't wait to see what happens when someone trips going over the tracks or gets hit by a train after taking the shortcut. This has lawyers written all over it. The restaurant owner needs to at least erect signs telling patrons not to hop the tracks, but should more likely consult his attorney about measures to protect himself.