• Is it possible to railfan the Conway Scenic?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Otto Vondrak

I'll be heading to Fryeburg, Maine, this weekend for my scout troop's annual canoe trip. We're just a stone's throw from Conway, NH, and I was planning on sneaking a few pictures of the Conway Scenic while I'm in town. Is it possible to follow the route of the Conway Scenic and get shots of trains in operation, or is it rather difficult?

-otto-

by highrail

Otto,

Do make the effort to get over to North Conway! The Valley train that heads south to Conway runs several times a day and the Bartlett train also should be running. I have had better luck with photos on the Bartlett train...better locations for photos. Route 302 north toward follows pretty close to the track, with a number of spots along the way. A couple of my favorite locations for shots on the Bartlett run include the area along Rt 302 just past the Red Parka Pub, and a couple areas near Attitash Mtn, a bit further west toward bartlett. Bartlett is also a good location, and is just off Rt 302 in Bartlett Center...old freight building, crossing, and signal can set up for a nice shot. Take some time to scout around the route to bartlett, as there are many locations.

I have had less luck with the Valley train...some areas are hard to get to, and the ones that you can get to are less picturesque, although a couple spots on West Side Road are very good.

The depot area is also great for shots, with plenty of equip around, and reasonably good access. Caution near the golf course...they tend to get testy with the railfans.

Overall, a great spot!

Also, if you have the time, head north on rt 16 to Gorham (about 1/2 hour). Great station, some equipment, but also an active line, St.LA(?) Perhaps someone else will know the running schedule up there...usually 2 trains per day.

Steve

by mc367

Well worth the trip, If you have the time you may want to check out the New Hampshire Northcoast, for the time being I think they may be still using a GP9 on the Trains, I'm not positive, but just what i've seen in photos on the internet. And they have the freshly painted GP38's.
-Justin Franz

by p&w3901

Another really nice spot to catch the Bartlett train is on Route 302, just east of Crawford Notch. As you start down the hill into the notch, there is a parking area on the right for the waterfall there(Silver Cascade). You can either climb the trail next to the waterfall, and shoot across the valley, or there is a trail from the parking area that leads down to a small pond. The tracks run alongside the cliff almost right above you, so you can shoot up at the train for a unique perspective......

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks all for the info- I was able to spend two hours at North Conway station, which was enough to record the arrival and departure of a couple of trains that Sunday- the geep with a bunch of coaches and the extra fare cars on the end. The Notch train was stored (but parked in good light). Upon leaving town via the North-South Road, I saw the new bridges and reconditioned track built by the state... forgot all about that shot, even after I saw it in Railpace a few months ago! but the time in North Conway was enjoyable... my Scouts were into it, and I spent the time explaining what stuff was- especially things like wood framed cars, steel cars, friction bearing journals, etc...

Is the turntable at North Conway powered by compressed air?

Who owns the track from Conway that runs through Fryeburgh, Maine? Saw the relay cases still had the Guilford "G" stenciled on them...

-otto-
  by wolfmom69

Turntable IS compressed air(or at least it was a couple of years ago,when I saw the S-2 #1055 on it.) State of Maine owns track from ME border down to Windham area in Maine. Guilford owned the MEC when the Mt. Division was last regularly active in 9/83. A couple of extras after that.Did you go in the OTHER direction??? From Conway to Ossipee Pit,and see the rails (mostly) still in place as are nearly ALL the B&M station buildings??? Bud :)

by Otto Vondrak

I see inactive rails all over... are pretty much all the tracks north of Concord out of service? There is the track along I-93... the tracks in Maine... the tracks leading to Conway... what's the deal with all these tracks? all state owned? is the Hobo Railroad in Meredith part of these lines?

-otto-

by thebigham

The tracks north of Concord are not out of service. It's the New England Southern RR. It serves a few industries and interchanges with the Hobo RR.

The tracks south of Conway are still in place (and oos for over 20 years)and connect with the New Hampshire Nothcoast RR.

Chris

by FatNoah

As far as I know, north of Concord NEGS (New England Southern) only serves one customer in Tilton but the Hobo uses the line to interchange.

by B&Mguy

I just drove up Route 16 to North Conway the other day, and photographed many of the old B&M buildings. The depot in Ossipee was beautiful, but sadly in a state of disrepair. Tracks were in place for most of the way, although several grade crossings have been paved over. The station in Silver Lake (Madison) has been nicely restored and is now a post office. I wasn't able to locate the West Ossipee Station (Mount Whittier), and was wondering if someone could shed some light on it's location. I've always been fascinated by the Conway Line in that most of the stations remain standing, despite a portion of the line being abandoned for 30 years, and the active portions not generating high levels of traffic. I've heard that the abandoned portion of the line might reopen some day to serve a pit in Madison. Hopefully this will happen sometime in the near future. If you like photographing old B&M stations, this drive is a must.

Also, I drove to Portland ME paralleling the MEC Mountian Division, and noticed that for a line that has been inactive for 10 years, it seems to be well maintained. Does the State of Maine have any plans for this segment that anyone knows of? Thanks for any info.

by Otto Vondrak

Does CSRX own the line from North Conway through Fryeburg to Portland?

-otto-
  by wolfmom69

B&M Guy; If youd taken Route 41 from Silver Lake(Madison) south to Rt. 16,youdve found the West Ossipee Station. Its just off where Rt. 41 joins Rt.16 at W.Ossippe. It is now,and has been for years, a Lions Club. The freight station is intact. The former Markson Furniture Factory,which was last operated by Yield House of N.Conway,is right next door,and was one of the last "active consignees."The State of N.Hampshire owns the abandoned trackage on the Conway Branch,and just bought a small section Guilford had kept,in case the line ever reopened(theyve done the same with other abandoned branchlines,such as the lewiston Lower in Maine. Otto;the State of MAINE owns the Mountain Division from S. Windham,ME to the Maine border. They brush cut it regularly(which I think is a waste of us Maine taxpayers money,because in order to run "real trains"(not just the putt putt speeders) nearly all new ties would be needed,so youd have to brush cut anyway!!). Bud :wink: