• Riding Tank Cars

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by conrail_engineer

Chris_S68 wrote:I swear, every time I read a post like this, I lose a few IQ points. Pretty soon I can seek a management position!
Yet another example of lawyers and bean-counters writing the rules. As has been pointed out, anybody who's ever ridden a tank car knows that riding the side can tend to make you swing around. That's why it was a no-no to get on and off moving tank cars (or certain flat cars). Certainly it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that, in the name of downsizing, this poor guy was doing the work of three people and operating that stupid box while attempting what, in itself, is a dangerous procedure. How the heck is this supposed to make things safer?!

Chris
Spot-on right. The problem here is that the guys making the rules, coming up with the Great Ideas like the remote boxes, and then standing in judgement of people who have accidents...HAVE NEVER, EVER DONE THIS WORK.

They don't understand it, and they don't even know enough to know what they do not know.

by Kick'em

At CSX, we're not supposed to ride and drive @ the same time. We do it anyway. Our T'masters would probably try to pin this on the guy riding and driving. The thing is, the same thing would have happened regardless of who was controlling the box.

To be honest I can't say about the CSX rule regarding tanks w/o looking at it. My guess is it would be similar to ride in the stirrup and hold onto the bar. They just don't understand how difficult that is while driving at the same time! I ride behind the bar kind of propped up against the tank facing the direction of movement. Riding on the other side of the bar would be considered fouling the equipment.

by roadster

If at anytime you feel that riding a car is UNSAFE. Walk ahead and check your route inadvance of the movement. Nobody's life is worth a quit. Besides I like xtra beans.