• Time for a little NJT levity...

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Silverliner II

So....can someone answer this question for me?

What's a solid 5-car set of Comet III's? I've not heard of such...

:wink:

Joe

by transit383

Here's an eight car set of solid Comet IIIs, back when they were first delivered:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=52841

Its very rare, bordering on impossible, to find such a set today.

by nick11a

transit383 wrote:Here's an eight car set of solid Comet IIIs, back when they were first delivered:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=52841

Its very rare, bordering on impossible, to find such a set today.
I'd venture to say that without intentional effort to get these cars together, it is impossible (although, it is possilbe that a solid set of 3s may be viewable on the ACL at present.)

by Jtgshu

Every once in a great while,there is a solid C3 3 car set out of Bay Head, but haven't seen one in a couple of months

by Tri-State Tom

383 -

Definately one of the better pics I've seen posted here....the lighting angle is near perfect on the cab !

That one reminds me of a similar shot of a string of old MU's westbound along Esterling Lake in Denville circa the 1960's that was used on the cover of the Morris & Essex timetables.

Well Done !

by arrow

I remember about three years ago there was a six-car train of Comet IIIs for many weeks. It was the 6:38PM to Dover from Hoboken. Also there was a morning train on the Morristown Line to Hoboken that was some weeks six Comet IIIs and other weeks six Comet IVs. Back then, they didn't seem to mix the stuff like they do now. I can't help but shake my head everytime I see these ugly trains going by now. The only thing that still looks nice are the Arrows.
  by Silverliner II

Even a mixed bag of Comet IV's and IIm's at least looks better than the usual mismash you see out there.

I rode what I thought was a complete set of Comet V's last week while I was doing my video, only to see a Comet IIm as the 8th car of the 9-car train (with an ALP-46 shoving).

Joe
  by nick11a

Silverliner II wrote:Even a mixed bag of Comet IV's and IIm's at least looks better than the usual mismash you see out there.

I rode what I thought was a complete set of Comet V's last week while I was doing my video, only to see a Comet IIm as the 8th car of the 9-car train (with an ALP-46 shoving).

Joe
You see that a lot. I know, it drives me nuts too when one car out of 8 or nine is a mismatch.