• Looking for the exact location of Framingham, MA CSX RR Yard

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by BCLRConductor

Could someone please tell me the exact location of the CSX Framingham MA Railroad Yard? Just tell me the street its next to or if the trailor CSX employee's report to has a mailing address even better! Thank you!!

by johnpbarlow

North Framingham yard, where cars are classified, is off the intersection of Park and Pearl St. The crew trailer was replaced by a permanent building a few years ago when CSX upgraded the "long track" IIRC. There's also Nevins yd where the road freights drop and pick up their consists - it's parallel to Fountain St. Lastly, there's the CP yard that was originally part of the old GM assembly plant. AFAIK, the CP yard, where multilevels are unloaded has no easy street access.
  by CSX Conductor

BCLRConductor wrote:Just tell me the street its next to or if the trailor CSX employee's report to has a mailing address even better!
Why the need for a mailing address? Most business is done out of Jax, or on a local level Selkirk,NY. In case you are looking to hire-out over here, I have bad news for ya, you'll still have to go through the normal channels that everybody else has to off the street. (School, applications & interview, training, etc.).

by CSX Conductor

Btw, it is right next to the Framingham Registry of Motor Vehicles. :wink:

by BCLRConductor

Thank you very much! Actually I'm already in the process of being hired by CSX. Just have to wait on some paperwork and next step is the Med. exam. Just wondering as that is the area my position is based out of and I'm looking to move closer to that location. Thanks again!

Best Regards,
Matt

by dbperry

Oooohh, a great opportunity to play with Google maps....

Yard Office is 15 Pearl Street. Most people think the yard office is 'across' from the Registry of Motor Vehicles, but actually it is almost exactly due south from the Registry. Anyway, they are on opposite sides of the track - Registry is east of the tracks, yard office is west:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 9&t=k&om=1

The yard office is the small brown building to the southwest of the 'corner' in the public streets (which are Pearl Street and Park Street). The Yard Office is clearly visible from the Registry parking lot, which is a popular railfan spot.

The "North Yard" is located just north of the Yard Office, on the eastern shore of Farm Pond. Scroll up in the map above and you can see it. The "Fitchburg" subdivision departs out of the north end of North Yard.

"Nevins Yard" is west of the yard office, and west of Farm Pond:

The bridge to the west of the Nevins Yard is Winter Street, and the bridge to the east of Nevins Yard is Fountain Street.

The "Framingham" Commuter Rail Station is directly south of the Yard Office, directly between the two 'legs' of the wye that lead to the North Yard:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 4&t=k&om=1

The satellite image is clearly a holiday or weekend - where are all the cars in the parking lots!

The CP yard is south of everything:

Road access to the CP yard is primarily from Hollis Street (which is between the CP Yard and Lake Waushakum). There is also street access to the CP Yard from the end of Herbert Street. "Waushakum" is also the street that is the first grade crossing north of the CP Yard. Outbound freights from the CP Yard are held at "Waushakum" until they are cleared to proceed onto the B&A mainline.

Actually, I have never completely understood this operation. There is no signal (for the northbound train) at "Waushakum", but trains seem to hold here until given clearance from the Framingham Yard Master. Does the yard master control the grade crossing signals? Why is there no signal where the trains are required to hold? Sorry if I'm going off topic here....

Anyway, welcome to the neighborhood, Matt! And good luck with downtown Framingham traffic!

Dave

by BCLRConductor

Hey Bob,
I dunno ur the second person that I know of that has recieved a phone call from CSX... starting to wonder if for some reason I am no longer wanted. Application status is 101-not selected.

Interview went great but who knows.... bummed out at this point.

by CSX Conductor

dbperry wrote:Outbound freights from the CP Yard are held at "Waushakum" until they are cleared to proceed onto the B&A mainline.

Actually, I have never completely understood this operation. There is no signal (for the northbound train) at "Waushakum", but trains seem to hold here until given clearance from the Framingham Yard Master. Does the yard master control the grade crossing signals? Why is there no signal where the trains are required to hold?
The track leading to the CP Yard is the former Holliston Industrial Track and is controlled by the YardMaster @ North Framingham. The reason for holding at Waushakum Street is because if a train pulls north to where the signal @ CP-22 onto the main-line is visible they will be blocking all 4 crossings, including Waverly Street (Rte.135). Crews aren't given permission up until the dispatcher has the signal in for the move to prevent blocking the crossings.
BCLRConductor wrote:I dunno ur the second person that I know of that has recieved a phone call from CSX... starting to wonder if for some reason I am no longer wanted. Application status is 101-not selected.
Not to sound rude, but perhaps they didn't hire you because of any experience you have on the Bay Colony. They would rather hire someone off the street and "mold" them because some people that are "professional hires" tend to bring work habits from the other railroads with them. Also, if you're rather young that may be a factor as they tend to hire older people more. They figure the older guys are more reliable and responsible, but this has been proven incorrect many times. :(

by BCLRConductor

"chuckle" CSX Conductor is prolly right about age. Even though I have a Assoc. Degree and excellent machanical experince it never seems to be good enough. People always seem to like to see older guys. It's the appearence that sells no matter what... :(

CSX is hiring one of my fellow conductors from the "The Hillbilly Railroad" even though his past with Amtrak is very dark... Hmmm... thought that was against one of CSX's hiring requirments? :wink:

Best of luck that have gotten in. I wish you all the best as CSX is pretty sweet. :-D

Bitter, but happy to be young. :wink:

by CSX Conductor

BCLRConductor wrote:CSX is hiring one of my fellow conductors from the "The Hillbilly Railroad" even though his past with Amtrak is very dark... Hmmm... thought that was against one of CSX's hiring requirments? :wink:
CSXT & Con-Rail have always taken people from Amtrak. Usually people only come from Amtrak because of troubled pasts, whereas if you have a troubled past here, you'll have no chance of ever getting over to Amtrak or the MBCR. :wink:

by Skullitor

Framingham has two yards. "NEVINS YARD" is on route 135 ex N.Y.C.
yard and "NORTH YARD" ex New Haven.Yard office is in the North Yard.

by CSX Conductor

Exactually the CP Yard (although it is partially in Sherborn) is also considered to be a part of Framingham, so we say there are 3 yards in Framingham. :wink:

by Skullitor

CSX Conductor wrote:Exactually the CP Yard (although it is partially in Sherborn) is also considered to be a part of Framingham, so we say there are 3 yards in Framingham. :wink:
Your correct.I forgot about the old G.M.Plant Yard.Now used by Ford.

by dbperry

OK....what does CP in "CP Yard" stand for? And why?

by johnpbarlow

I think it's because the large facility now inhabited by Adesa in Framingham used to be an Oldsmobile assembly plant, which was part of GM's Canada Products Division.
Your correct.I forgot about the old G.M.Plant Yard.Now used by Ford.
Technically, isn't the CP yard the formerly 13 track yard that is south of the assembly plant and multi-level unloading site? From the aerial photos, this yard looks like it would been used for marshalling auto parts cars for the assembly plant for both NYC and NH (you can see the remains of the RoW that connected this yard with NH's Framingham to Walpole branch).