Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by LandDownUnder

Hey folks

Visited New York between July-August '06, and in doing so, travelled quite a few miles on the NYC Subway system, as well as the LIRR.

I had a blast! :-D Being a foreigner and all, I was quite amazed by the complexity, size and the magnitude of the system, and also impressed by the amount of railfanning interest to be found. The variety in infrastructure (A couple of big bridges and viaducts on the F Train!), as well as taking many subway journeys and seeing a good cross-section of places and demographics in New York City added to my enjoyment.

I mainly travelled on the subway lines to Borough Hall, Coney Island, South Ferry, and Harlem. I regret not having more time to travel the rest of the place, but surely, will one day return and do so.

I also visited the transit museum at Brooklyn, and was quite impressed with that place, the quality of many of the exhibits, as well as being able to physically inspect so many of the wonderful subway cars. Strangely, I also saw some of these cars in a movement at Penn Station and Times Square a few days later. Photos of them soon.

My only disappointment about the place, was not being able to find Sesame Street. I had some funny thought since childhood that such a street existed in NYC :P

Here's some photographs I took while visiting.

Coney Island

34th Street - Penn Station

More at:

http://gallerymaikha.photoblog.me.uk/c1070983.html
http://gallerymaikha.photoblog.me.uk/c1070996.html

Enjoy!

by Carmine

Well done! Thanks for sharing! Glad you enjoyed your trip to the NorthEast United States!

by Terrapin Station

nice photos. i'd like to see your pics of the museum train movement.
  by Head-end View

Glad to hear you enjoyed New York! I'm sure you found it facinating! That Stillwell Ave/Coney Island Station is probably the best above-ground station in the whole subway system. Did you ride the #7 Flushing Line? If not, put it on your list for your next NY trip. BTW, did anyone (police or employees) give you a hard time about taking photos?
  by LandDownUnder

Head-end View wrote:Glad to hear you enjoyed New York! I'm sure you found it facinating! That Stillwell Ave/Coney Island Station is probably the best above-ground station in the whole subway system. Did you ride the #7 Flushing Line? If not, put it on your list for your next NY trip. BTW, did anyone (police or employees) give you a hard time about taking photos?
I was very impressed with Coney Island. It was recommended to me at the 'last minute' by a bloke at Trainworld, the Model train shop at Ditmas Av, and was recommended more for Nathan's hotdogs than for railfanning! :wink:

I did manage a short jaunt on the 7 train from Times Square to Hunters Point Avenue and back.

And as for being hassled, strangely I encountered no issues at all. The only funny encounter I had while photographing at 125th St Harlem was a female African American driver yelling in a Southern Accent that I couldn't take photographs. For a foreigner like myself, I found that quite hilarious, no offence! :P

by newkirk

G'Day mate!

Hope you enjoyed your visit here. There are stills tons of stuff you haven't covered so next time you're in town, post here and maybe some guys will tag along and show you the sights.

Are you aware that Sperry Rail Car #140 which was built from a surplus R-33 subway car body shell is now at the Dorrigo Steam & Railway Museum in New South Wales ? Although altered over the years, it still bears a resemblance to a typical carbon steel NYC subway car. Unfortunately no R-33 subway cars are in service, though a possible "rider car" may exist.