• Problems

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by CNJ

Noel Weaver wrote:I have downloaded and saved the link provided by CNJ as well as having
purchased a spy sweep program all to no avail.
I am getting pop-ups on an average of every 15 seconds. Refers to
security alerts, net worm-i.virus@fp, trojan virus as well as other stuff.
This also prompts me to order a program to clear up the problem but I
suspect that if I do that, it will make the problem much worse and could
cause me major problems if I use a credit card to pay for it. I am also
getting some sexually explicit material which I would NEVER use on here
so this is a bigger problem than most of you realize.
It has totally removed my enjoyment of railroad net and the other
web sites that I have enjoyed over the past few years.
I will be in touch with somebody here who has a connection with a
"computer expert" who may be able to help. If this does not work, I will
probably go for a new computer.
As I stated earlier if I have to buy a new outfit, I will not be on railroaddot
net again until access is controlled so far as posting is concerned. I hope
I do not have to do that but I will not risk my computer (old or new) in
order to participate here.
Noel Weaver

Unfortunately, it appears that you may have picked up a browser hijacker along the way Mr. Weaver. But not to worry...any reputable computer repair store can check your computer for a browser hijacker and remove it from your system. No need for you to have to get a new computer at this time.

by keeper1616

I agree, The most you would need to do is reinstall windows. I've been in the IT business > 5 years and know you do not need a new computer just because you have pop-ups and/or a virus.

I'm also 99% sure that rr.net did not give you the virus, or more people would have been complaining. I've been using railroad.net and other phpBB based boards for years on various computers and have had no problems.

I recommend: talking to the computer expert. Either having him uninstall the virus or even better reinstall windows. After that - install a good firewall, personal security advisor software etc... And being careful where you click. Be aware of who's links your following and if you don't trust the poster, don't follow the link. Finally, don't use Internet Explorer. There are better alternatives out there, do yourself a favor and download a program called firefox. It will block some of the programs that will be installed when you click a bad link.

by Noel Weaver

First off, I seem to be back in business after having to completely clear
Microsoft Windows and reinstall it. I had an local expert who has worked
on computers for a long time and he was not able to clear the virus so we
had to do it the other way. Hopefully, I am OK again after almost a week.
Let me be perfectally clear, there is NO DOUBT that the virus (trojan
virus) in this case did indeed come from Railroaddonnet. It actually came
from the Tri-Rail thread when I was looking at an item about new
equipment and this poster put on an entry with the word video. The new
cars are apparently in service as there was a picture in the paper today
but last Saturday, I wanted to read whatever was posted about this new
equipment. I think a lot of others could have fallen for this one as well as
I did.
I think we should all face up to the possibility of more problems on here
and should support and in fact encourage the owners and operators of
this site to institute a charge for the priviledge of posting. I don't see the
need to charge for reading but for posting I think there should be one.
I will probably be out of action on here for a couple of days at least so I
can get this computer back in order.
Thanks for the offers of help and suggestions.
Noel Weaver

by JoeG

I just had an idea. We know that the problem with spambots, etc comes from bots automatically registering as new members here. Old members aren't the problem. So, how about charging a $1 one-time fee to join up? This would prevent bots, no matter how clever. When new members want to join, they would get the explanation of why there is a $1 fee, and I can't see how anyone would object. It wouldn't be a recurring fee.

by Mike Roque

Noel Weaver wrote:Let me be perfectally clear, there is NO DOUBT that the virus (trojan virus) in this case did indeed come from Railroaddonnet. It actually came from the Tri-Rail thread when I was looking at an item about new equipment and this poster put on an entry with the word video. The new cars are apparently in service as there was a picture in the paper today but last Saturday, I wanted to read whatever was posted about this new equipment. I think a lot of others could have fallen for this one as well as I did.
Which thread was it? Did you click a link?

The forums themselves can only display text and limited HTML (links, bold, etc.) formatting via BBcode. Our board itself could not have infected your computer with malware without you clicking on a link to an external site. Obviously, we can't control or endorse everything people choose to link to, and we can't be responsible for the content on these linked sites.

With all due respect, I don't think it's right to go around saying that "RAILROAD.NET infected my computer" in the absense of proof and the presence of more than reasonable doubt. If this was a problem with the site, wouldn't more people get infected like you did? Methinks it was something you did...clicking on a link, perhaps.

by Otto Vondrak

A dubious link posted on our site was the culprit, not our site itself.

"Clicker beware." IF you dont know who's posting the link in question, dont click on it.

-otto-

by Noel Weaver

Otto Vondrak wrote:A dubious link posted on our site was the culprit, not our site itself.

"Clicker beware." IF you dont know who's posting the link in question, dont click on it.

-otto-
This is absolutely correct, it was on the Tri-Rail thread which is not too
widely used. There was a topic regarding new equipment and the link
inferred that there was a video of the new cars or engines so I wanted to
have a look.
I can gurantee you that it will not happen again, at least not that way.
I wouldn't wish this problem on anybody, believe me.
Noel Weaver

by GOLDEN-ARM

I had a "conversation" with Otto, about links that were posted in a forum I sit on. My concern was "how do I know this isn't an attack, from a hacker/spammer? He said what he just now said. "Caveat Emptor", or "buyer beware". I would follow his advice. I don't know you, or trust you, I won't click your links. I am on another forum, where you must have 100 posts, before being allowed to post ANY links, to anything outside of that forum. This gives others time "read" you, and decide if you are trustworthy, for looking at your links. A spammer, or hacker, in theory, won't have 100 posts worth of knowledge, or postable material, before he "does his dirty work". It works there, not sure how that might be received here. I wouldn't leave, or quit, because I got "attacked", but I wouldn't click ANY more links there, unless I knew the person who linked it, and saw responses from others, telling of their approval, of visiting that linked place. Just a thought................... :wink:

(latest avatar dedicated to you, Noel........ :-D )

by Otto Vondrak

Noel, and others,

The virus did NOT come from our site. Noel clicked on a link that took him AWAY from RAILROAD.NET to another web site where he picked up the virus.

I've said it so many times I'm hoarse: We cannot verify the contents of every single post on this site. If you see an odd-looking post from someone you don't recognize and all they tell you is "click here," then you may want to stay away from it and let a moderator or site admin know about it.

Further questions regarding the operation of this site may be addressed to the Webmaster, Mike Roque.

Thank you.

-otto-