• Photography at Harrisburg

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jdelgrosso

O.k, well, Up until a few days ago, I used to go behind the pinnacle health center bulding to get my Amtrak Photos, well, a few days ago, A guy drives up and "this is private property and I will have to ask you to leave". So I left. So here are my questions.

-Is Amtrak Photography allowed
-Can I legally get Amtrak photos at Harrisburg station
-What are some good spots to go to get the Amtrak photos

SPOTS MUST BE BIKE ACCESSIBLE FROM CENTER CITY. No highway crossings or anything like that cause I can't drive. THANKS!!!!
  by Noel Weaver

I know in most states and especially Connecticut and New York, railroad
police officers have full power to make arrests even off railroad property.
This includes Amtrak, Metro-North or any other railroad.
Don't get too "gutsy" around them or you may find out the hard way.
Noel Weaver
  by jdelgrosso

David Telesha wrote:Yes, Amtrak photography IS ALLOWED. They can't ban it, neither can NJT or the MTA unless congress were to pass an amendment to Title 18 of the Espionage Act prohibiting photography of transportation infrastructure and that would surely fail if tried.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4048 NJT photography unfortunantly HAS been banned.

But yeah, o.k, I trust AMTRAK can't do anything. Thanks yo.
  by P42DC

In the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, "Railroad police" (you'll notice that precise wording appears on APD's badges) are afforded quite a bit of legal authority. They do not require municipal police officer intervention, and can even operate as Police off of railroad property. They can bring an arrested actor directly before a district justice, as I recall.

In short, Amtrak Police, as well as other RR police are the "real deal" in PA and elsewhere They are trained police officers, and given real police authority, and meet the same minimun standards for other police officers within the state. They are not "armed security guards." I wouldn't recommend treating them as such.
  by Noel Weaver

It is nearly universal, at least in most states. In New York State, MTA
police can even give you a speeding ticket on an interstate highway.
Believe me, Amtrak, Metro-North and even CSX and other railroad police
have full police powers. They do not need to call for the locals, not to say
that they never do but they do have authority to arrest etc without the
locals.
Noel Weaver

by Robert Paniagua

I know in most states and especially Connecticut and New York, railroad
police officers have full power to make arrests even off railroad property.

Yes that's right, Mr. Weaver. MTA, Amtrak, WMATA MTPD as well as my hometown MBTA Police have not only police powers on their properties, but also on public ways too, for example, like MBTA (also special state troopers) Police here, they can also write M. G. L. chapter 89/90 (MA Traffic) citations, issue Handicapped parking tickets, and backup local police in other situations in their 78 cities and towns it serves.

And not to mention, they can also take someone into custody too, and verify one for warrants on a routine basis. So beware everyone, just because you think that they are transit police, they are actually known as BEYOND transit police.