• What would you like to see happen with #3372?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

If service is not reactiavted, what would you like to see happen to #3372?

Become NYS&W #3372?
4%
Become M&E #3372?
32%
Keep on perminant display at Hoboken Terminal?
28%
Keep on Perminant display at the URHS?
20%
Re-introduce it on the NJT Hoboken Division as NJT #4172?
16%

by DutchRailnut

Getting service on abandoned tracks is easy, even a lease is cheap as long as someone pays the taxes to the towns, they can't rip up tracks anyway without decades of nimby fighting the rails for trails movement.
resulting in still nobody paying the taxes.
Running a passenger operation is a different game and out of Mr. Wilsons league.

by hsr_fan

What happened to the GG1 that used to be on display at Hoboken?

by DutchRailnut

Thats a differet subject :-))
captain were going off course!!!what should we do ??

by nick11a

DutchRailnut wrote:Thats a differet subject :-))
captain were going off course!!!what should we do ??
We need more bags! Bags I say! :D

by james1787

Why would NJT leave something on "display" at Hoboken terminal? I would think that since that is an active terminal that there is absolutely no room or reason to keep a static display on an active railroad year round. Of course we'd love to see it, but I doubt that would ever happen. I for one would like to see someone like M&E take it and put it into some sort of active service -whether it's pulling the occasional excursion train or pulling freight. It's better than just sitting out there to rust away.

by Irish Chieftain

Why would NJT leave something on "display" at Hoboken terminal?
Probably got the idea from other stations having historic locomotives on display. Such locos would not be stored on an active track, but rather in a location away from revenue activity.

by RiverMP21

I would think, and not working for either of the railroads I am not in "the know", that neither Susie-Q or M&E would even want to run the locomotive, mostly because they do not run any other GE locomotives (even though the Alcos do use some GE parts). That was one of the main reasons NJT retired the U-Boats - they essentially have a fleet of GP40 and derivitives.

by njt4172

I see 6 people voted to make the 3372 M&E 3372......Now why would M&E want to use the U-34CH when they already have 6 FL-9's and 2 F40's?? Where would they use the engine?????

Steve

by njt4172

NOW 7....................

by Angus202

It was a burden on the M&E when this unit sat in various locations (standard roofings lead & jefferson ave team track) on their line - tight curves and 90lb rail-. I'd love for this unit to end up on the M&E, but there isnt any place they can run with an engine that big and heavy, or any train they run that would require its power. Excursions? They've got enough FL-9s and F40's with HEP to run regular service from whippany to hoboken.

-Ryan

by thebigc

Burden indeed. I brought a U34/CometI outfit from Dover to Morristown for a commercial filming in 1991 and from the sounds of the rails squealing, those six-axle units would definitely straighten out that curve eventually!!

by BlockLine_4111

njt4172 wrote:I see 6 people voted to make the 3372 M&E 3372......Now why would M&E want to use the U-34CH when they already have 6 FL-9's and 2 F40's?? Where would they use the engine?????

Steve

Yeah one of those who voted was ME !
I see possible use on the RVRR/SIRT line to perhaps "drag" lengthy consists. Perhaps the HEP package could be tapped for aux. power needs whatever those needs may be.

by njt4172

Man the torpedos!!!! Here comes the U-boat!!!!! :D :D :D :D

by BlockLine_4111

njt4172 wrote:Man the torpedos!!!! Here comes the U-boat!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Yes the U-boat could cross the AK. Do you know what AK stands for ?