• Alstom update for WMATA cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Mike Morris

New rehabs are arriving weekly again at Alexandria and two more 3000 series are on the way up to Hornell.

Warranty repair and 6K upgrades will be done at New Carrollton at the old shop.

by Sand Box John

Thanks for the update.

by Mike Morris

Alstom rehab project on 2K and 3k has been put on hold since WMATA inspected new cars arriving and saw mods that were signed off in NY were never completed. Still lots of reliability issues with rehabbed cars.
Very bad.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh wow, so that means that some #2s and #3s will just be unrebuilt, I guess?

by Mike Morris

They will be done-just a matter of when.
Lots of problems with the rehabs so its on hold.
I "think" only 2 sets of 6Ks at this time have been accepted. I hope this is not a repeat of the 5K disaster. 5Ks are junk and still not correct.

by Robert Paniagua

Wow, the 5s were just as bad as the MBTA GReen Line Type 8 trolleys.

But no CAF derailments though, the T8s in MBTA Boston have derailed and other issues too.

by Mike Morris

5Ks seem to derail in the yard with no weight on them:(

by Sand Box John

"Mike Morris"5Ks seem to derail in the yard with no weight on them.

I wonder if any body has considered that much of the track work in many of the yards is significantly different then what is found out on the main line. For example short tangents in reverse curves between turnouts, short or no spirals between tangents, curves and turnouts, the liberal use of #6 and #8 frogs in turnouts and there close proximity to one other.

by Mike Morris

This may be correct but the 5Ks are derailing often where other sets are not.

No 6Ks accepted yet:(

by Sand Box John

"Mike Morris"
This may be correct but the 5Ks are derailing often where other sets are not.

I have mentioned the track work. Now let me take a crack at the cars. What are the similarities and or differences between the truck bolster location in relationship to the coupler draft gear pivot point? What similarities and or differences exist between the wheel tread flange profile on the 5Ks and the rest of the fleet?

It may be that those Spanish trucks under those cars don’t speak AAR and get confused when they encounter the tight track work in the yards.

by Mike Morris

Its the airbags and their positioning. Finally after 5 years its figured out!

3 sets of 6Ks accepted.
FMI on rehabs now at the old shop at new Carrolton.
Rehab acceptance now at Alexandria.
Project manager of Rehab/6K has resigned.