• Tagging Freight Cars In Charlestown

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Ed Canney

For over a week now, there has been a string of freight cars sitting on the tracks next to the MBTA Sullivan Station in Charlestown. As a result almost all of the box cars have now been sprayed painted by the local graffiti artists.

Does anyone know why these cars have not been moved by Pan Am?
Last edited by Ed Canney on Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by MEC407

Could be any number of reasons. The cars could have mechanical defects which need to be repaired before they can go back on the move. Or PAR might be short on crews and/or locomotives.

by Ron Newman

If they are on tracks next to Sullivan station, they are not in Somerville. So I'm confused by your post.
  by Ed Canney

This is to clarify whether the cars are in Charlestown or Somerivlle:

One member said that he was confused about the location an another member has pointed out that the cars are in Somerville on the 3rd iron and that the 3rd and 4th iron lead into yard 21. Yard 21 is located in Somerville. However, the string of cars that I pointed out in my first post start in Charlestown directly across from the Sullivan T station, near Clinton Pl and Brighton St and extend a little beyound the route 93 overpass near the beginning of yard 21.

A map clearly shows that from 93 to just south of Cambridge St (next to Sullivan) and two streets that run parallel to the 3rd iron (Clinton Pl and Brighton St) are in Charlestown.
Last edited by Ed Canney on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by GP40MC1118

Those cars are in Somerville, not Charlestown.

The two tracks are called the 3rd & 4th Irons. The freight cars are
on the 3rd Iron. Both tracks extended to Yard 21.

As to why they have sat there so long, I don't know. BO-1 is on a
short leash apparently (limited to 8 or 10 hours), so they usually
do one assignment. Yesterday they went to Everett Jct (Scrap)
and return and that was that.

Today BO-1 did not come out on the mainline and may have never run.

One other factor is that LOSA doesn't always come to Boston, so outbound
cars (if these are outbounds) start piling up.

D
  by GP40MC1118

I stand, er sit, corrected...Sullivan Square station and the to leads to Yard
21 are in Charlestown.

d
  by CSX Conductor

GP40MC1118 wrote:I stand, er sit, corrected...Sullivan Square station and the to leads to Yard
21 are in Charlestown.

d
Stand corrected again, wrong form of the word "Two", lol. Only kidding Dave.

So have these cars received any nice art work?

by Ed Canney

Depends on your definiton of the word "nice." Let say it the typical grafiti that has been painted by these "so called artists" in and around the Charlestown area for past several years.

It seems that every freight train that I see has at least one or more cars marked with grafiti. Very annoying not to mention ugly. Reminds me of when grafiti was marked all over the subway cars in New York City back in the 70's and 80's, until they were cleaned up.

by CSX Conductor

Why do you find it annoying? As long as it doesn't cover reporting initials & numbers, or plate size of the car it doesn't bother most of us railroaders. There are often some very unique and very well done pieces.
  by GP40MC1118

Sorry to disagree CSX Conductor...tagging is a blight on the landscape. Ruins pictures from my perspective and is vandalism. I used to take a
lot of freight car photos for a modeler friend of mine, but most times
I pass on them because they are so badly tagged.

What angers me more is the fact that taggers can repaint the bridge abutments near Beacon Park tower without any problem, but a railfan
up on the bridge or out on the platforms along the pike is a security
risk/suspicious. I mean they even apparently climb the trash cars
and tag the girders of the pedestrian overpass at the park. How does
this happen?

dave

by mick

I am a railroader and tagging bothers me. It shows a lack of respect for property, for the law, and for the community as a whole. I am even more annoyed by the fact that it is becoming accepted, even glorified by the media as "art". I think it looks like crap, no matter how talented the "artist" is. I bagged some kids doing it one night while I was walking in a yard. I grabbed one kid, took his paint can and told him I was going to paint his face if I see him back there or anywhere else on the railroad again. I think he got the point.

by peterw

Your lucky he didn't stab ya.

Next time call the RRPD. Ooops I forgot they don't anwser the phone. :(

by CN9634

Only Hobo's stab :wink:
  by Ed Canney

Well they finally moved the cars from in front of Sullivan Station and I could not believe the amount of grafiti that was painted on the entire length of the retaining wall next to the tracks. The string of cars must have given the artists cover while they peformed their "ART WORK." It really looks bad from the "T" platform.
  by CSX Conductor

GP40MC1118 wrote:What angers me more is the fact that taggers can repaint the bridge abutments near Beacon Park tower without any problem, but a railfan
up on the bridge or out on the platforms along the pike is a security
risk/suspicious. I mean they even apparently climb the trash cars
and tag the girders of the pedestrian overpass at the park. How does
this happen?

dave
I agree with you Dave. As for the Grand Jct, I beleive it is done at night.