• HOBOKEN-BINGHAMTON FANTRIP: SEPTEMBER 25,2004

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DonPevsner

Sales thus far are a total disaster: 42 Coach passengers, with a
break-even (using 7 Amfleet I coaches) of 462!

If the train is not sold to break-even by JULY 5, I am canceling the
trip and walking away with a (now-minor) $250 loss for the Ticketweb
set-up fee. I am not masochistic enough to take the hit for an $8,940
(10%) AMTRAK cancellation penalty, which will arrive any day now.

It is disheartening to see beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets in more
demand than the first "rare mileage" trip on the Erie RR in nearly
25 years. Once I cancel, I predict that there will NEVER be another
of these trips in most of our lifetimes.

IF any of you want to go, then get the word out NOW. If not,
I am getting out with my financial skin intact on July 5...and to hell
with it.
  by jp1822

Don - let's hope for more sales - I signed up for 2 passengers! But I have only recently read the ads in the various railfan magazines - the most recent in Railfan Magazine, which was quite prominent. Amtrak seems to be a little over the top in their finances and terms for these excursion trips.

by Irish Chieftain

If there is any evidence that a recession still exists, the apathy towards this trip would be it.

Incidentally, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, and gambling can be and are sold in the most depressed of areas on the planet.

by 7 Train

You got it-the sins of life-alcohol, drugs, tobacco, gambling. When people are addicted, they pay for it.
  by Noel Weaver

My experience from many years ago:
1. Trips do not sell well in the summer
2. After announcement, a number of tickets are sold then nothing for
some time, finally the last month or six weeks, they sell rapidly.
3. Organizations who cancel trips especially early will have a problem
dealing with the railroad should they endeaver to run another trip.
A couple of other points, the security situation might make a few people
think twice before ordering tickets.
Some people are likely away and might not even be on a computer or
have access to one.
If the railfan publications do not get the word in time to publish it, forget it
because you will not sell tickets without it.
It is a massive undertaking, a lot of work and headaches, I know, I have
been there and done that.
Noel Weaver

by JoeG

Mr. Pevsner emailed me today and asked me to post the message that the trip was canceled. Those who bought tickets will have the money automatically refunded to their credit cards.

by Mudvalve

That's a shame it had to be cancelled. I'm guessing the $185 fare was a turn off for some. I know it got me to decline on taking the ride.

by hsr_fan

That's too bad. I'm sorry I wasn't able to commit quite yet, but it's just as well, as it would have been just one more refund I suppose.

by mattfels

Things are tough all over. The Lollapalooza tour has been cancelled. So has Comdex.

by Otto Vondrak

Sorry Don,

I couldn't hear you over my turbocharged Lexus coupe's stereo... I was too busy sipping Starbuck's double mocha latte on my way to the Trump National club at Briarcliff, because my broker called to let me know that my portfolio had tripled overnight...

I dont know what impression I give to people on this board, but I dont have an "extra" $185 lying around to go on this trip (even if it interested me- which, unfortunatley, it does not). Rent, gas, bills, school loans, insurance (not always in that order).

You'd better revaluate some of your statements, Don.

-otto-