• Conway Scenic GP7 573

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by wolfmom69

:( was hoping that "perennial power poor" Guilford,might "borrow" the CSRR GP-7 to use for a few days on the Madison,Augusta or Hinckley runs,due the preference for "Geeps" on these 5-10 mph branches. Had to be in Waterville last Sat. AM,on business,and alas no sight of sound of this Geep on the branches,or yard(don't tresspass near the shop area,like many railfans do!!). Wouldve been an incredible 50 year time warp to see the unit at work!!! Bud :P

by b&m 1566

Finally found the picture of the ex-MEC 573 in Green with Gold stripes.
So the 573 was orignally delievered in Maroon and Gold (repainted in that color twice). Then it was repainted in Forest Green with Gold. It then went to Guilford's Gray and Orange and re-numbered 27. It was then sold to the Conway Scenic and repainted back to its orignial Maroon and Gold and re-number back to 573. Was this engine ever in the Yellow with forest green stripes before MEC was sold to Guilford? or any other color like Gray and Gold or something?

Here is the picture of the 573 in Green. http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ne_Central

also found its sister engine 572, still in its original color in 1980. Does anyone know why only some engines kept the same paint? By the way is this engine still around or is it gone now? http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ne_Central

by b&m 1566

Okay saw another picture of 573 repainted back to its orignal Maroon and Gold paint in 1982 before going to Guilford Gray and Orange. I'm still trying to figure out if it was ever in yellow or some other color still?
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ne_Central
  by henry6

...I believe that unit was delivered maroon and stayed maroon, never got to the blue/black/white scheme and never was considered for anyother.

by MEC407

Basically, the 573 was delivered in maroon, repainted in green, repainted in maroon again, repainted in Guilford gray, and then repainted in maroon once again, by Conway Scenic.

The 573 was primary power for MEC's inspection trains, and was known among the train crews as "Mr. Miller's Engine" (in reference to Spencer Miller, president of the MEC).

by Tom coughlin

From the late seventies about 1982, the 573 was painted in a reverse scheme to the then current yellow scheme; green with single yellow stripe large number on hood with the "pine tree-in-the-circle" logo on the end of each hood. The 573 was painted on the maroon and gold for a short time in the early eighties with a green tree in a yellow circle logo on the end of each hood (I believe this logo was added to the already maroon 572 at this time as well for executive service). Wish I had a picture of both units on the buz train. In 1980, I did chase the 572 with the business train which included a blue CONRAIL business car.

by coosvalley

OK folks, here goes, paint schemes on the 573 were...
1. maroon (deliverery)
2. green "layer cake",one of a kind (mid 60's)
3. green reverse "yellowbird" , ( sept '77)
4. maroon w/ extra tree herald ( summer 82)
5 Guilford Grey (winter 82) I don't know if ths unit ever got painted grey more than once, but it was sublettered for the MEC, the D&H, and ST at different times.
6. maroon, restored by CSRR, which she still wears

by b&m 1566

LOL thanks for the info. Maroon, Green, Yellow, Maroon, Gray, Maroon... got it.
Had the CSRR not purchased this engine was Guilford going to scrap the engine? It was a perfect engine for the CSRR because it didn't need to be restored, the engine has been riding the rails since it was built.

Speaking of which... The CSRR starts up agian on Apirl 16, Is the 573 finished yet? Is it gonna be ready in time for April 16th? has anyone seen it sitting in Waterville lately? I was told Guilford was going to use it for some of there locals before sending it back to the CS. ?testing it to make sure the traction motors are working right ??? or just taking advantage of using an engine that's not there's?

by bubbytrains

When the CSRR first got the engine and had it in the Guilford gray scheme with # 27, they modified the big white "G" into a "C", for "C"onway Scenic! That could be considered another paint scheme or at least another variation! I have a photo of it somewhere that I'll dig out when I can.

Alan

Hi

by thebigham

When this unit was moved off-line, the New Hampshire Central used the the old NH&VT to get this unit.

Chris

by b&m 1566

Well the Conway Scenic is up and running again. Does anyone know if the 573 is back yet or not?
  by #7470

Hey guys. I was up in North Conway for the past 2 weeks. At the beggining of the week, engine 4266 was powering all Valley train runs. Later that week CSRR brought out the 573. The only noticable change is that the bell is now slower.

by superwarp1

Sorry it's not football season until Baseball is over. GO YANKS :P

I'm going to take alot of pics with I'm up there in OCT. I'll look for this geep when I'm there.