• Conway Scenic 7470 status report?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by greenus90

Updates:
According to one of the conductors:
-7470 will be steamed up Sunday, it will probably be a light move only.
-U-boat 2820 is temporarily sidelined because the air compressor went on it a week or so ago0 so now both FP9's are back on the Notch train
- GP7 573 is running well
- S4 1055 is in the middle stall of the roundhouse, repaint is ongoing
- 7470 is in stall 1 over the ash pit.
- GE 44T 15 is parked with the yellow one (350?) alongside the t-table pit. No word if they fixed the prime mover (it has two but one was dead last year)

More to come, tomorrow.

Thanks

by superwarp1

Made plans to do the Notch train the first weekend in Oct.

Which motive power would like see handling the Notch train?
  by b&m 1566

Agent at Clicquot wrote:... and was told it's too soon to tell if 7470 will be on the road by 8/19/06. The woman on the phone suggested I call back on or about 8/16/06 for an update.

* JB *
I wouldn't think they would put it right into full service, that's going to take a little while (making sure everything it working correctly, etc.). However it is nice the 7470 is out and about again. I know some people though that it would never run again.

by greenus90

The Notch train will likely draw the U-boat (U23B 2820) and one of the FP9's (not sure which one is better, both look to be in a state of good repair) because the U-Boat has dynamic brakes.

There is talk of using the ALCo S4 1055 more often- I do know it is getting a repaint and I heard that the charging circuit was being repaired in parallel. If that's the case the Valley train might occasionally draw the S4 and the Notch train might get the GP7 573 if one of the F's or U-boat is down for maintenance- you'll find out on the day of arrival I guess.

I can say that the 4266 (F7A) is looking REAL tatty. The trucks are filthy and also there is a lot of cancer on the body panels.

by CSRR573

If i remenber the redstone branch was going to be used for shullte service between Depot ST anf settlers green. I always figured that The CSRR would use the 1055 to power the trains. so maybe they are spucing up the 1055 for service??? Also i was up there thius weekend to see if the 7470 was running. The crews said Sunday so hopefully it will be running sunday. Also the 4266 has a lot of rust spots.

by greenus90

Yup, I heard it too they were planning on running 7470 Sunday, though probably on its own as they are still shaking it down (little bugs and what not.

I'll be there with a camera and my redsox hat, tomorrow morning, but can only stay until about 1:00.

by greenus90

Update- yep, the 7470 was indeed running today- myself and a few other railfans hung out for a few hours to witness.

-COurt ran it down the south hill and back up 3 times, then backed all they way down, almost to cConway center then returned up the hill.

Best of all, it was like Mini- Railfan's day- they had spotted U23B 2820 on a cross over track- they used the 7470 to switch out the 2820 to the back track behind (and thru) the roundhouse. Now a U23B weighs about 320,000- the 7470 moved it without slipping a driver! SO all in all it was a VERY cool day. I'm working on posting pics over at NErail.Org.

by superwarp1

Great pics Dave and thanks for sharing.

Real nice to see 501 out in the weather and not covered. NOT

by wolfmom69

I gotta get up to N. Conway & see the 7470 "working". Saw similar CN/GT 0-6-0s in action in the mid 50's,as a youngster on the Portland waterfront and the E. Deering roundhouse/yard.

One fall afternoon,in 1968,I was coaching my football team at NYA,where I have taught for nearly 40 years. The local eastbound wayfreight,on the GT,was passing by the field,adjacent to Route One,and of course I always snuck a look! There was the 7470 being "delivered",as part of the consist,so had to stop practice,and let the guys look at it/hear a quick 5 min. talk on my trips as "a kid" to the GT roundhouse.

On another Conway Scenic note,ex PT Alco #1055,was always a favorite of mine,and I have a drawing of it I did for the Portland Sunday Telegram,as an 11 yr. old in 1954,when it was only 4 yrs. old. The 1055 was a regular on the Rigby to Deering Jct. "local" at that time,and I frequently rode my bike a few miles to Morrills Corner to catch it working the close to 20 consignees in that area. Would usually have 20-30 cars daily to & from Rigby,and made track speed from Tower Five(Brighton Ave, to D. Jct. "yard limits".

Glad to see it being repainted and kept up!

Sadly,the fate off the #501,has NOT been one of the 470 Clubs "brighter moments!!!

Bud :wink:

by superwarp1

What are the issues with the 470 club and why has 501 not been overhauled. I remember 501 siting out next to the round house in the early 90's. I see nothing has changed.

by greenus90

I guess we should be thankful the 501 is still largely intact if a bit rough. Since the 470 club owns it, CSRR doesn't have a say as to when it will be repaired.

The 1055 looked nice last year's Railfan's day. I'll dig up a picture and post it in a few.