• Hackensack station

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by riffian

On page 36 of "Susquehanna in Color" the author states part of the original Hackensack "survives as of 2001." there are no photos in this book of the original station, only the replacement which was built accross River Street next to the Bergen County Record plant. The author is clearly talking about the Potrero Grill, a Mexican Restaurant (O.K. food) whose architecture susggests that it could have been a railroad related edifice. In Krause and Crist's Susquehanna book there is a photo of the original Hackensack station taken from the west end looking east. The Potrero Grill structure appears to be the same, but it is not clear if it is in fact part of the station. Does anyone know for sure if this was originally part of the Hackensack depot and if so, why it wasn't torn down along with the rest of the building. Anyone know when the replacement station on River Street was torn down? thanks for any insight....

by RichM

Since your note has been sitting here awhile, if you can get a copy of "The Next Station Will Be... Volume 1" there's a picture of the original Hackensack Station there that complements the Krause and Crist book's photo.
I believe you are correct, that the restaurant is part of the original structure.

by riffian

Thanks Rich, I'll check it out. I don't personnaly own that book, but there are many copies in various Bergen County Libraries......

by njmidland

Does anyone know for sure if this was originally part of the Hackensack depot and if so, why it wasn't torn down along with the rest of the building. Anyone know when the replacement station on River Street was torn down?
As stated above this was part of the original station. It was built in 1899 and was one of the more elaborate stations ever built on the NYS&W. The new station was built in 1950 on the far side of River Street. Not a particularly impressive building except maybe for the large neon "SUSQUEHNNA" sign that loomed over it. I didn't pay close attention but the new station was torn down in the late 1990's. It was last a flower shop before the end. As to why the eastern section of the original station was spared - that's an interesting question. Perhaps a search of old copies of the Bergen Record might give a clue, otherwise it is lost to history.

Volume 1 of The Next Station Will Be... has been reprinted and can be purchased from amazon.com

by riffian

Thanks for the input! Frustratingly, today I checked both Hackensack and Ridgefield Park Libraries - they have many issues from the "Next Station Will Be" series, but no volume one! The search continues.....

by njmidland

Frustratingly, today I checked both Hackensack and Ridgefield Park Libraries - they have many issues from the "Next Station Will Be" series, but no volume one!
Back when we reprinted the book in 1999, we went to almost every town pictured in the book and donated a copy - including Hackensack and Ridgefield Park! It makes you wonder what they did with the book.

by Steve F45

i need to pick up this "next station" book. sadly though the nysw hackensack station or what was left of it burnt down this past winter. it was a small mexican restaurant.

if you use ebay and search for hackensack, you stumble across postcards of the old station.

by Steve F45

thanks for the link. i'll definitley order it.