• American Steam Locomotive Bell Identification

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by glaskar

I recently acquired a steam locomotive bell and, if possible, would like someone familiar with railroad bells to help me identify either the type of locomotive and/or the railroad that used this type of bell. The bell bottom is 16 1/4" diameter; bell height is 12 1/2". It has a curved cast ring base that mounts on top of the boiler that is 20 1/2" diameter. The harp also has a bell ringer mounting arm cast into it. The only number I could find is cast into the upper bell hanger and it is #12S142. I have more dimensions if needed and have posted some pictures. I sure appreciate any help in the identification. Thanks,
-George-
Last edited by glaskar on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Look carefully inside the bell. Sometimes a number was stamped, with dies, into the bells interior. Another location, is on the very top of the bell. It would have to be removed, from the hanger, to see it, IF it was there. Posting a photo might help. One other thing. Early diesels had bells that were identical to steam locos, and even used the same piston, to actuate the ringer arm. Are you certain it's from a steam engine? Sharing those pix, might be helpful.......... :wink: