• Marketed but never sold EMD types

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by USRailFan

Has there been any other EMD types than the BL20-2 (and the rumoured SD55) that were marketed, but never got any orders?

by U-Haul

The SD59 is one. A freight version of the F40PH seems unlikely.

by DutchRailnut

The Freight version of F40 is GP40, same trucks, same engine same electricals, just no HEP and different gearing.

by byte

Those two monstrous electric locomtives they built in the late 70s - the GM6 and GM10, I think they were called. The demonstrators were built but no buyers (Hint: Conrail) came forward to purchase.
Last edited by byte on Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by rdganthracite

I don't know if the SD45X qualifies. There were no orderes, but SP leased all but one of them for quite a number of years.

by USRailFan

U-Haul wrote:The SD59 is one.
So EMD actually marketed an SD59? Wonder if that means that they also marketed an SD39-2? After all there was an SD39...

by Leo_Ames

Wasn't there a 12 cylinder H engine locomotive that was marketed and a prototype constructed of? Think it had similar horsepower to something such as a SD70MAC.

by Steve F45

what does the H engine look like compared to the regular engine?

by Allen Hazen

Re: models
One I remember was a treamlined, low-profile, "power car" proposed (and depicted in a booklet distributed to a high-speed rail conference in Pittsburgh) in the mid-1970s: possibly called "AMT-125". Not sure how much detailed engineering was done: the booklet suggested an as-yet-undesigned B truck or E-unit-style A1A truck as options, and mentioned possibility of 3rd rail pick-up for use into Grand Central Terminal (NY). Envisioned train configuration mimicked the British Rail HST: "power car" (a.k.a. locomotive) at each end with maybe seven cars in between-- booklet depicted cars similar to Amtrak's then-new "Amfleet" cars. Proposal was for 125 mph operation (again, like the BR trains); booklet had estimated times for New York City - Buffalo run.
----
Picture of H engine: the current Kalmbach Publishing successor to the "Diesel Spotters Guide" (I forget the exact title; Greg McDonnell is the author) has photos of 710 and H in the introduction to its EMD section and of the FDL and HDL in the intro to its GE section.

by LCJ

Regarding the AMT-125, I believe Amtrak balked at the cost and instead went with "proven" technology in the ill-fated SDP40F -- with the thought in mind that if Amtrak stumbled, freight railroads might be able to use them.

by Allen Hazen

LCJ--
Amtrak balked at something, anyway! ... I don't remember exactly when the conference in Pittsburgh was (I went, sneaking in the back, so it was while I lived in Pittsburgh, but I took a LONG time getting through grad school at Pitt!): I think it was a few months after one of GE's new E60CP derailed on a test train: the GE rep at the conference minimized the significance of this, and had the good grace to look embarrassed when his company-supplied video claimed the E60CP was a "worthy successor" to the GG-1. ... The AMT-125 probably would have cost a bucket: EMD doesn't do engineering work for free, and it was clear that this would have to be an entirely new design.
---
On the general topic of "marketed but not sold" models: EMD's 1966 catalogue contained a "DD40" that would have looked like UP's second (cab-equipped) order of DD35 rather than the later DD40X.

by LCJ

GG1s were a tough act to follow with respect to longevity and utility. No doubt (for me anyway) a 1970-ish "modernized" GG1 would have been prohibitively expensive to develop and build -- but it would probably still be operating today! (We'll never know.)

DD40 probably = double prime mover "bait" that UP resisted for once. Obviously no one else wanted them, either.

by scharnhorst

How about these odd ball units that were only built in a small number but neveer grew to anything higher in the locomotive markit? Were these just expairaments befor the next stage of locomotives came out or were they a spicific model requested by that railroad at that time?

BL20-2 1 built
SD40-2SS 5 built
SD45X 7 built
SD60MAC 4 built
F69PH-AC 2 built
GM6 1 built
GM10 1 built

by Steve F45

scharnhorst wrote:How about these odd ball units that were only built in a small number but neveer grew to anything higher in the locomotive markit? Were these just expairaments befor the next stage of locomotives came out or were they a spicific model requested by that railroad at that time?

BL20-2 1 built
SD40-2SS 5 built
SD45X 7 built
SD60MAC 4 built
F69PH-AC 2 built
GM6 1 built
GM10 1 built
any pics of the sd40-2ss,sd45x, and f69ph-ac?? I tried railpics.net and found neither. what were the differences between a regular sd4-2 and sd40-2ss and the sd45x?