• NEGS article in the Sunday Concord Monitor

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by GP40MC 1116

Concord Monitor (Sunday, 7/30) published an article on the New England Southern in their Business section (p F1). Included quotes from Peter Dearness, the owner of the NEGS and Kit Morgan (NH, Bureau and Rail and Transit). Article covers the advantages of shipping by rail, and the disadvantages faced by shippers. I read it and must say it is very informative and a good article

Article is currently here:

http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 65/48HOURS

I got a chuckle when they said "the railroad leases 100 miles of railroad tracks that start in Manchester, run through Concord and end in Littleton."

Heh the tacks actually end in Lincoln, but im sure they knew that.. :wink:

by Rockingham Racer

Concord was the only station I can remember visiting that had a train shed. It was gone by 1961, the year I headed off college in NY, because my last fling was a round trip Lowell-White River Jct. trip. Consist:
3 Budd cars, which made for great out the cab window viewing.

by FatNoah

Do they really lease 100 miles of line? AFIK, there's only one customer on the Concord-Lincoln line and that customer is only 10-15 miles up the line.

by Rockingham Racer

And if you check out the system map on the Pan Am website, you'll see that it's Pan Am that owns the tracks between Manchester and Concord.
I was wondering about that myself.

by GP40MC 1116

Rockingham Racer wrote:And if you check out the system map on the Pan Am website, you'll see that it's Pan Am that owns the tracks between Manchester and Concord.
I was wondering about that myself.
How i understand it is:

Pan-Am (Springfield Terminal) owns the rails up to the switches just north of the Holiday Inn. From there, the state of NH owns the tracks on the mainline (to Laconia, Meredith, Lincoln, etc). Pan-Am also owns the old Northern RR Line that runs through Penacook into Boscawen and then track ends (this is the line through Franklin, Potter Place, etc). From there, the State of NH owns the line (track or no track). I'm told they still patrol it; and recently had some brush cutting done & some basic track testing.