• Old Susquehanna lines around Scranton PA?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by salminkarkku

Did the Susquehanna own some lines around Scranton about the time of the Second World War? I've got a sketch map of that time which seems to show several short mine spurs and connecting lines with the label "NYSW", and I wonder why. I don't mean the "Wilkes Barre & Eastern", or the "Susquehanna Connecting", which the map labels separately.

by choess

Yes, there were several branches disconnected from the rest of the system in Scranton. Taber enumerates the Winton, Sibley, Murray, Spencer, Dolph Sunnyside, and Johnson Branches. Mohoski's book on the NYS&W gives a map showing these lines, I think.

by njmidland

The Wilkes Barre & Western, wholely owned by the NYS&W, ran from Stroudsburg to Suscon and over the river to Kingston. Another subsidiary, the Susquehanna Connecting RR, ran north from Suscon (short for Susquehanna Connecting) up to Hillside Jct. and beyond. And as mentioned above there were a number of disconnected branches.