• Los Angeles and San Francisco Subway systems

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by NJTRailfan

Which one of the two are better? What is the max amt of cars logn a train can be? for instance the NY subway is 10 and Chicagos is around 6 or 8 cars t the longest. What about railfannign and cleansiness of the system? Which one is better? I did hear the Metro Red Line in LA is good but it's only 30 or 40 stations long.
  by SDTI1001

Hey, actually the Metro Red Line in Los Angeles only has about 15-18 stations (cant remember the exact number). The Red Line train consist is usually between 4 and 8 cars. As for BART in the San Francisco Bay Area they're consist is between 4 to 10 cars. As for the station amount for BART there are 43 stations along the 104 mile system. For the San Francisco MUNI Metro Subway which turns into a Streetcar system outside of Downtown San Francisco, its car consist is either 1 or 2 cars. Usually the 2 car consist runs during the rush hour while the 1 car trains runs during the off-peak hrs except for the N-Judah line which is 2-car during most of the day. Another fact if you want to know, in San Francisco BART and MUNI share Downtown stations with BART being in the deepest subway under Market Street and MUNI running in their own subway above the BART subway. I hope this information helps you. If you have any other questions just give me an email or instant message. :-)

Regards,
Nick

by pennsy

Hi All,

The Red line of Los Angeles is a fairly new Subway System and so is still growing. You now have two lines, both terminating at LATC, Los Angeles Transit Center. Used to be LAUS, Los Angeles Union Station. The trains are quite short during off rush hours but can get to four units, two cars per unit, or eight cars. The stations can easily handle a train of ten cars. The stations are quite long. So far, in every rush hour I ever rode the Red Line, it was a maximum of eight cars. Most likely, as more and more people refuse, or can't afford, to pay the price of a gallon of gasoline, traffic and the number of passengers per train will increase. So far the head way is acceptable, something like 15 minutes between trains. During rush hour that time differential is much less.

In the meantime, it is probably one of the cleanest lines, stations and cars, that I have ever seen. And I used to commute to school with the NYC Subway system. If you dropped something on the station floor there, you would have to clean it after you picked it up.