Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by Sand Box John

GG1 4876 has been moved. It's still in the same south Baltimore CSX yard (don't recall facility name off the top of my head) It's been moved north and is now under one of the bridges of northbound MD I-95. Don't know the whereabouts of the 2 heavyweight passenger cars that were spotted on the same track.

by glennk419

PRR GG1 4876 resides at the B&O Railroad Museum. It is remarkable as it was the locomotive on the runaway "Federal Express" which crashed into Washington's Union Station on January 15, 1953, just five days before Eisenhower's inauguration. The loco ended up crashing through the concourse floor and was cut into three pieces and removed a few weeks later. She was reassembled in Altoona and ran out the rest of her career with far less notoriety.

by Sand Box John

"glennk419"
PRR GG1 4876 resides at the B&O Railroad Museum.

Not quite "at the B&O Railroad Museum".

Up tell a couple of days ago it was spotted where the well cars are in this local.live.com image. If you pan to the right you can see it on the edge of the image. It is now spotted under the northbound lanes of MD I-95 to the left of the well cars.

local.live.com images
North
East
West
South
  by Sand Box John

"donmcc"

I saw 4876 on the museum's back lot on Thursday. Here are pictures:

http://web.mac.com/donindigo2/iWeb/Site/PRR%20GG1.html

Nice to now know she has been moved from the CSX yard to a more secure location.

by donmcc

I asked a couple folks working at the B&O about the GG1 last Thursday. One said he thinks the museum is looking for a buyer for it. The other said the museum is now more open to equipment that originated outside of the B&O-C&O-WM focus, and that the GG1 was in line to be restored by the museum.

(my speculation) Smithsonian influence?

Either item is good news.

Don McClure
Bel Air, MD

by WilliamBollinger

I was there 9 Jul, and got these pics.

http://cv66er.home.mindspring.com

I may try to get more later.

The folks I talked to indicated they don't want to sell it, but between 4876's poor condition and funds/workspace available, they can't restore it. They are hoping someone will take it over as a project, then re-donate it back to them.

Anyone got a pile of money and a big rail-accesable workshop handy?

by nittany4

wow, those pictures are so sad

imagine how Lowry (sp?) would feel if he saw his creation looking like that

:(

by nittany4

that PC livery was hideous

as was the entire Penn Central

did anyone ever read the book "The Wreck of the Penn Central"?