• Overland Park, KS...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by SnoozerZ49

Hi I'm headed out to Kansas City for a few weeks attending NARS, is there someone out there that might be able to give some heads up on the following items:
Main radio frequenceis
good viewing spots
local hobby shops
and of course the best place for bar-b-que!

Thanks
JM

by LCJ

This NARS?

by SnoozerZ49

yup, sorry for the lack of clarity. My employer sends all its student engineers there. There probably isn't a lot of spare time but I figured I'll probably have to be able to get away for a little while now and then.

by zwsplac

Radio Frequencies: Since you're in the Kansas City area, you're going to have a ton of frequencies. I'm going to assume that you won't have a ton of spare time and will be sticking to the Kansas side of the border

BNSF Transcon Argentine Yard and Westward:

160.650 161.085 161.145 161.100

BNSF Ft.Scott Sub:

UP Kansas Sub:

UP Cherokee Sub:

UP Coffeyville Sub:

160.410 161.265

by zwsplac

Good Viewing Spots:

BNSF Transcon: There are a couple spots I'd recommend. The first is Holliday Jct. where the BNSF Topeka sub splits from the Transcon. Take I-435 north from Overland Park and exit at Holliday Drive. Turn left (west) and follow the road till it crosses the tracks. There is a small space for parking just over the crossing. Do not tresspass in any way, just stay by the road. Additionally, turnign right instead of left will lead you to some other grade crossings to watch from, but Holliday is the most popular spot.

The second is downtown Olathe, just south of Overland Park. Feeling your way around will lead you to a public parking lot hard by the tracks. A track which connects to the Ft. Scott sub splits off here. The Ft. Scott sub is 6 blocks east or so. You can hear trains on it too.

UP Kansas Sub: This line is across the river from Holliday. Continue north on 435, and exit at K-32. 32 follows this line for a number of miles. One spot I like is Linwood. Follow K-32 to the west about 15-20 miles or so, then head for the tracks at Linwood by turning at the Gas Station.

Paola: This town is on Highway 169 south of Olathe. Paola is where the BNSF's Ft. Scott sub is crossed by UP's Coffeyville sub. Additionally, UP's CHerokee sub takes off to the south here. The Cherokee sub is used by UP's southbounds, while the Coffeyville sub hosts the northbounds. Traffic is by-directional on the COffeyville sub to the east. UP also has moderately used trackage rights on the Ft. Scott sub from here to KC, which it inherited from the MKT. THe junction is on the west side of town. THe town is laid out a little strangely, and it's easy to get disoriented. Feel your way down to the junction by heading west.

by SnoozerZ49

ZW, thanks so much for the info. You're right I won't have a lot of time I guess. Again, many thanks!