• GP38AC 310 NOT scrapped

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by Aji-tater

What good is a link if it requires membership in the group? Tell us what it said about 310.

by scottychaos

'doh!
sorry..I always forget about that..
its a report from a NS employee..
he mistakenly said it was 311,
but it was NS 2881, which was LV 310.
LV #311 cut up

From another list:

i noticed Cr #580374 with the sad duty of carrying ex lv/cr/ns #2881
cut up in same gon. it went over the hump,according to hump cndr carded for
roanoke va,which mean s a 15t/35q trip. I climbed up into the car,(hope no
bosses reading this)to verify the number,and did get disposable camera
photo's of it's hump trip,but if we're correct on the number Ex-lv gp-38ac # 311
is no more. proably a victim of a worn out frame. suprisingly the top of the cab
was cut off & put in the gondola upside down,with the horn still attached.
soneone did remove the two numberboards though
Scot

by scottychaos

by GOLDEN-ARM

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

by TB Diamond

Very sad to see another piece of the Lehigh Valley Railroad lost to the ages. Thankfully, the images and the memories remain extant.

by NYSW3614

Check this out- I heard today that the engine is being rebuilt to a 5600 or something. The frame has been kept and will be used as a base for a new engine. Weird!

NYSW3614

by TB Diamond

Seems Mark Twain said something about this situation, if true.

by Lehighrrgreg

I guess its a good thing I came across one of the small cast steel "F" plaques from the front

:-D

by scottychaos

hold the presses!
I was just emailed a list that conflicts with the story of LV 310 being scrapped.

I just posted this on the NS forum:

Hey NS fans,
I just got some conflicting info regarding the scrapped NS 2881!

We had a first-hand sighting of NS 2881, nee LV 310,
cut up in a gondola. Seems very reliable, and I have no reason to doubt it.

But I was just emailed this list:

http://www.altoonaworks.info/rebuilds/ns_56gp38-2.html

Which says NS 2881 did in fact go through the rebuild program and came out as the new NS 5655!

NS 2881 GP38AC -NS 5655 GP38-2 - Originally LV 310

So which is it then?!
Was NS 2881 scrapped or not?

This is what I *think* the status of the four LV GP38AC's is right now:

LV 310 - NS 2881 - scrapped June 2006.

LV 311 - NS 2882 - rebuilt in 2003, in service as NS 5516.

LV 312 - NS 2883 - rebuilt in 2006, in service as NS 5627.

LV 313 - NS 2884 - Moved to Altoona 3/17/2006, hopefully to also be rebuilt!

But according to that rebuild list, all four have been rebuilt and are in service! Can anyone confirm the current status of 2881 and 2884?

thanks!
Scot

by scottychaos

ok, here is the scoop, it appears LV 310 is NOT scrapped afterall! :P
for awhile, we had reports of the cut-up 310 being spotted, first this one:
i noticed Cr #580374 with the sad duty of carrying ex lv/cr/ns #2881
cut up in same gon. it went over the hump,according to hump cndr carded for
roanoke va,which mean s a 15t/35q trip. I climbed up into the car,(hope no
bosses reading this)to verify the number,and did get disposable camera
photo's of it's hump trip,but if we're correct on the number Ex-lv gp-38ac # 311
is no more. proably a victim of a worn out frame. suprisingly the top of the cab
was cut off & put in the gondola upside down,with the horn still attached.
soneone did remove the two numberboards though
then this message, and webpage, appeared on the Conrail forum:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26649
http://www.conrailcorp.com/scrapped.html

Both reports indicated those units were totally scrapped..
but!
it turns out those repots are sightings of scrapped CABS and short-hoods ONLY! :P not complete locos!
BEcause they saw the cabs, they just naturally assumed the whole unit must also be scrapped..that was an incorrect assumption! :wink:

The NS GP38 rebuild program removes, scraps, and replaces the cabs and noses of the rebuilt locos, because the original cabs and noses apparently contain asbestos.

So what this all boils down to is, LV 310 is NOT scrapped afterall! :P
She IS being rebuilt!
and 313 is also in line to be rebuilt!
which means all four of the LV GP38ACs are going to new and long operating careers!! woo! :P

Scot

by BR&P

Yeah, but it will be like looking at that girl you work with who suddenly shows up with far more than she had a week ago. You'll look at the new cab and think "Yeah, but it's not a REAL LV cab and nose" :wink:

by scottychaos

BR&P wrote:Yeah, but it will be like looking at that girl you work with who suddenly shows up with far more than she had a week ago. You'll look at the new cab and think "Yeah, but it's not a REAL LV cab and nose" :wink:
yeah, but the cab and nose are irrelevant IMO..
its still the REAL LV 310!
even with a new cab and nose!

look at LV 304..was she still the real LV 304 after she came back from Paducah? yep! :P

Scot

by Wanderer

2881 was not scrapped. It was salvaged. As is the practice with the Norfolk Southern rebuild program, the cab, battery boxes, and short hood were tossed due to the asbestos insulation in the cab section. The remains will be the rebuilt 2881. The cab is indeed gone.

The 2881's cab section was sent over the hump at Allentown Yard a few weeks ago in a gondola for points unknown, but destiny certaint. Sort of the feeling of a Roman executed, on parade.

2884 I can't find anything on, but am certain will be rebuilt. 2912 is currently the last active roster ex-Con GP38. And in defense of the Altoonaworks.info creator/maintainer, the GP38-2/GP38-3 rebuild programs lists are denoted on the pages as a work in progress...