• Greenfield Village--Dearborn, MI

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

by MikeL

Has anyone been to see the new railroad facilities at Greenfield Village yet? Since I moved out of Michigan 3 years ago, I haven't been back, but they've supposedly restored a roundhouse, with public access that includes a service pit where you get to see the underside of a steam loco. Anybody care to give a "review"?

by MikeF

I was there two years ago and don't remember it especially well, but here's what I do remember: You're correct about the roundhouse, it's nicely restored and there are guided tours that take guests through an explanation of how steam locomotives work and then onto a balcony in the roundhouse, where guests can watch work being done on the locomotives below. You are able to walk under a display locomotive at the end of the tour.