• So How About That Model Railroader???

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

How do you rate Model Railroader recently?

1.) I Love it! Better than my significant other.
3%
2.) Its pretty good. Worthy of the $4.95 US / $6.95 Canadian
55%
3.) Its the "Cosmo" of model railroading.
27%
4.) Great for lighting my fire-place.
15%

by Sir Ray

Otto Vondrak wrote:Let's try to steer the conversation back to the topic at hand: critical review of Model Railroader magazine.

-otto-
Hey, one of the poll responses is 'The Cosmo of Model Railroading', so why should we stay on topic?
Besides, I don't remember seeing half-nude women in MR like you can find in Cosmo (then again, MR doesn't have that weird floral smell from the various perfume sample cards).
Hmmm, maybe Cosmo doesn't have that anymore either, we used to have a female co-worker how brought in Cosmo (and yes, us guys would glance through it) - then she got married, dropped Cosmo (guess she no longer needed to learn 56 hints to please her man anymore), and started buying 'Lucky', the magazine about shopping (seriously it does exist - http://www.luckymag.com ).
And there you go, a better analogy - 'Model Railroader is the Lucky Magazine of Model Railroading'

by Hoosier Joe

A year ago I switched from MR to RMC.It seems I always learn something new in the in-depth RMC articles.Otto,I enjoyed your story about the Ontario Central.I bet it was fun to get a cab ride in an Alco. Joe

by overseer

I've been in the hobby for nearley 15 years I got my first MR in 1995 it was good then but now its not worth buying. Everything seems to view in on Western Railroading and Steam trains which I could care less about the two subjects my self. Back then they did round robbin with haveing to do with the Eastern States and on occation Canadian railroads and Western Railroads. Now it seems as thow its nothing but Western Railroading. Even the Trains Mag seems to look more on Western Railroading. I rather buy the RMC beter, cheaper, more intresting things, and more projects.

by Wespe

The last MR issue I bought was back in 1998... kitbashing SD90's was the article I liked I think... that was WAAAYY before I even started to dabble in the hobby.

I would often peruse an issue or two at the local book seller, but nothing since has caught my eye. Lots of ads (which can be forgiven to some extent I guess), but lots of fluff as well.

RMC is better, but I find myself just getting my news from the net and buying "Diesel Era" and "Mainline Modeller" instead.

by Sir Ray

overseer wrote:Now it seems as thow its nothing but Western Railroading.
Well the article in the July issue about building realistic lakes and ponds was from a modeler in Germany....
Of course, I suppose we could consider Bob Smaus's downtown Los Angelas based SP layout to maybe be Western Railroading :P

by Otto Vondrak

Bob Smaus is one of the last great modelers from the 1980s and 1990s that still occasionally grace the pages of MR. His work has appeared in both MR and RMC. Anyone remember when the V&O Story was launched in RMC? Then slowly coverage migrated to MR. I remember when Burgess' Yosemite Valley was constantly featured in RMC through the 1990s. Notice how some layotus only get certain coverage in certain mags, but then drift back again? Utah Belt was first covered in RMC, now he enjoys major fluff coverage in MR.

Time will tell! Who will be the next great layout to be featured?

-otto-

by Dieter

It also brings to mind what happens to these great layouts with the demise of their owners? Likely most end up in a landfull, but surely some are sold or donated.

There was an article in a MR about 15 years ago about a Senior who was selling his house with the entire layout and collection intact, "The Milwaukee and Sheboygan" as I recall. It was an impressive layout, and I would venture that the guy probably died six months after moving to Florida without his incredible layout and inventory. I don't know why people do that....

Anyway, I wonder what the record is for a single layout to change ownership?

Dieter/

by Sir Ray

Dieter wrote:It also brings to mind what happens to these great layouts with the demise of their owners? Likely most end up in a landfull, but surely some are sold or donated.
I would think the heirs (if non-modelers) would sell off the 'obvious' movable stuff (meaning control systems, rolling stock, locomotives, structures, vehicles, details like light poles, benches, loading docks, etc), either in an estate sale or as a bundle on eBay, through agents, etc. -- the hard non-movables (meaning scenery, benchwork, and possibly trackwork) probably would get hauled away.
Easily movable, well scenic modules they may try to sell in whole...

by Otto Vondrak

I think RMC is better because they publish my articles and don't chop up the content or horribly crop the photos. Call me biased.

One thing I noticed you don't find in RMC- the modern prototype modeler. You see a lot of great looking steam, narrow guage, and logging layouts. A lot of layouts featured showcase that indescriminate "transition" period, and some are emerging and 1960s and 1970s vintage. But what about layouts like the Utah Belt? What about layouts that take place today? There is no shortage of kitbashing articles from folks creating the lastest diesels... but where are the layouts to showcase these models?

Any author or layout that you loved from years past that you would like to see return to the pages of MR or RMC?

-otto-

by EMDFAN

Otto Vondrak wrote:Any author or layout that you loved from years past that you would like to see return to the pages of MR or RMC?

-otto-
Lyle Beck and Dave Rickaby's Wisconsin & Michigan layouts, which appeared in MR about 12 years ago. Both men used the Wisconsin & Michigan, which was abandoned in the 1930's as the basis for "what if" layouts set in the 1960's and 1990's