• Amtrak and weather

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by PDT009

I've been on trains when we've had to go through rather severe rainstorms. There was a brief period on the Empire Builder back in 2001 where I was actually concerned about safety. The sky turned a eerie yellow green and the extreme driving wind lightning and hard rain was as strong as any storm I can remember. We slowed way down but, I heard no announcements about possible preparations for emergency. Everything actually seemed to be handled as a matter of routine. I had and still have every confidence that the crew knew what the level of danger was so I sat back and enjoyed the show. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Amtrak's policy in the event of very severe weather? How do they keep informed of things like tornado warnings, large hail, strong straight line winds? And should a tornado warning occur in the area of a transitting Amtrak train, what is their policy in dealing with passengers. Do they keep them onboard or remove them?
Just curious.