Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metraupwest

Amtr84, you do bring up an interesting point. Last year the Feds passed a new horn measure that specifies a max decibel and a min decibel limit. Will this affect what Metra and Amtrak and all the other lines uses or specifies on their locos in the future? I know that new power coming out of EMD and GE are using newer versions of such horns as the K5LA. Can you or anyone else shed some light into this? From what I can tell so far the newer versions don't sound the same or for that matter...as good as what the "current" K5LA sounds like.

by MetraF40C607

Horns are still sounding the same as ever. Some are loud, some are quiet, sound perfect, are messed up, don't sound at all!

by AMTK84

Metra and Amtrak haven't switched ovr to these new horns. The only exception is on AMTK51 which does have a K5HL-R1L. The K5LA has changed over time; now adays new K5LA's are usually out of tune. I say Usually because I have heard 3 new K5LA's (METX8453, 8412, and 8440) that are pretty good, 8440 probably being the best.

As far as Metra switching over to these horns, god I hope they don't start putting K5HL's on everything...However I'm not too concerned because of horn hight restrictions in CUS. MP36's are still coming out from tri-anual inspections with shiny new K5LAR4A's; and rebuilt F40PH-2's are still coming out with P5 combos.

by QR National

From the video's ive seen of the MP36's, those horns are loud enough to lift someone out of bed at night!!

by Scotty Burkhardt

I live 5 miles from the tracks and can hear them clearly.

by AMTK84

From what I've heard...A K5LA would not fit, but a K5H would. Amtrak had to modify there F40PH's to put K5LA's on them, and even if Metra did switch horns I can't see Metra modifying there engines just for that. Since I've last posted, 424 has gottenn a nice new K5LA, and wow that thing is pretty nice...Better then the one it had, anyyway.

by QR National

From the photos of the cabcars I've seen on Metra, they are equipped with K5LA's, but have had the #4 and #5 bells removed to make it into their own version of a K3LA.

by MetraF40C607

Actually, the cars you see have the #2 and #4a bells removed due to clearence problems on tracks 2, 4, and 6 in Union Station. Leave those bells on and the rafters will knock the K5LA clear off the roof. The combo left behind makes a very unpleasing sound. However, Cab Car 8477, when it was delivered, had it's K5LA bells backwards and the #3 and #5 bells got removed, making it a perfect K3LA. I must say, it sounds quite nice compared to the other pieces of crap left behind from the "horn massacres."

by metraRI

8477 was the 8400 assigned to RI back in the day, I'm not sure if it always sounded so pretty. BNSF might have fixed the chimes so it sounds like a K3. Some other 8400's also have better horns, not sure which ones off the top of my head. They are mentioned in the forum somewhere.

by QR National

Thanks John. Nice to see a familar face 'round here! :wink:

from what I understand, its all measured 100ft from the front of the locomotives. the minimum is 96db while the max is 110db. It only seams to apply to new units.

by MetraF40C607

Glad to see ya pokin around here Mike! Say, when you commin to Chicago, again? I got some neat material ready when ya do! Ya, quite a few horns are louder than 110db. Since it's 100ft from the front of the engine, the horns could be hitting upwards of 120-130db by the time they're right on top of you. This would explain why the SD70ACes have such loud horns.

by QR National

End of July 2008 I'll be in Chicago! ;) Only for about 5 days though as im going to New York and Toronto too. Gotta head over to Rochelle when im up your way! :wink:

Horns here in Australia are no where near 96db. I would guess more around 80db. :(

by MetraF40C607

End of July 2008?! Good lord! Well, you're gonna have to remind me, then, cause i'll forget. If things are still good, i'll show that the hotest spots.