Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by EJ&ESDM809

Those new signal bridges are known for being very unreliable, and I wouldn't see why the new ones at Stone Avenue and Western Springs being unreliable as well. There are a few that are more unreliable then others, but I have seen many of them change green 45 to a hour before a train comes through, including at LaVergne and Brookfield. The new signals at LaGrange Road always change yellow, even if there is not a train coming.

by metraRI

The signal at LaGrange Road is a permissive signal, meaning the only time it is red is when its against traffic or when a train is in the block.

by MetraBNSF

The signal at approx MP27, which is just west of the Lisle interlocking is also like the signal at LaGrange, where eastbound traffic gets a yellow unless there's a train in the block or if the current of traffic is going west.

by metraRI

Just to elaborate more on the signals, all signals outside those at interlockings act in that way. The signal at Stone Ave. going eastbound will always be flashing yellow, and the signal at Western Springs will always be green unless the block is occupied or a westbound movement turns the signal red. The best way to tell if a train is coming by looking at signals is to look at an interlocking... LaGrange, Hinsdale, etc.
  by rail10

How are the metra signals differs from the cta subway signals?
  by doepack

rail10 wrote:How are the metra signals differs from the cta subway signals?
Could you clarify that a little? Several different types of signalling methods are in use on Metra, each unique in its own way...
  by rail10

I will like to clarify my last question which section of metra uses the automatic train control with cab signalling,also which section of metra uses the traditional fixed block system with traffic lights without cab signalling and finally which part of metra uses the manual flag system?
  by doepack

rail10 wrote:I will like to clarify my last question which section of metra uses the automatic train control with cab signalling,also which section of metra uses the traditional fixed block system with traffic lights without cab signalling and finally which part of metra uses the manual flag system?
Hopefully, this link will be of use. Click to be enlightened...

http://hometown.aol.com/chirailfan/tipmetra.html

by EJ&ESDM809

Hopefully the won't reach Downers Grove for a while. There are 5 old signal bridges operating there. I noticed that they haven't replaced the westbound signal bridge at Highlands, and they did replace the eastbound signal bridge. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=143681 The old signal bridge is still standing, but with no signals. You can see the westbound signal bridge hasn't been replaced yet. I think BNSF will put up a new signal bridge there soon. By the way, the new crossovers in Brookfield/Congress Park are good for 50 MPH.

by MetraBNSF

There's also a newer eastbound signal bridge governing the West Hinsdale plant, but the westbound bridge hasn't been replaced yet.