• NJT Car Inspector found dead in Hoboken

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by mb

I heard yesterday that a car inspector decided to tragically end his life by walking in front of a train in Hoboken. I don't know much more than that, but my payers go out to him and his family.

by jdelgrosso

I doubt a railroad inspecter would do kill himself by rail. I think railroad inspectors know better. My prayers don't go to him if he did committed suicide via train. They would go to his family and to the train crew and their families.

However, since he was a railroad inspector, I am assuming this was an accident in which case my prayers to go to him and everyone else.

by Jtgshu

I heard that but I also heard that he was simply found dead....I don't know if at home or at work.

RIP

by steemtrayn

He was found in the yard under a parked train. I can hardly imagine someone commiting suicide with a train going under 10 mph.

by nick11a

^Yeah, sounds like an accident. But we'll have to wait and see. Thoughts and prayers.

by thebigc

I'd worked with the man for many years and while accidents do happen, I really don't think this was the case. He was having serious trouble in his personal life. But the thought of ending it all under the wheels of a train going five mph. boggles the mind.

by mb

I totally agree with you. I heard he was having personal problems too.

by Irish Chieftain

A person on the NJ.com Transit forum with the handle "HobCond" described this incident in quite grisly terms. Thread here.

by thebigc

Yeah, that's what I'd heard. I knew him, the crew, and everyone else involved. At least the crew was exonerated. NJT usually works hard to lay blame somewhere.

by nick11a

thebigc wrote:Yeah, that's what I'd heard. I knew him, the crew, and everyone else involved. At least the crew was exonerated. NJT usually works hard to lay blame somewhere.
Geez, that sounds awful. I guess you would die a lot slower that way. Sorry to hear about that BigC.