• CSX Coke Express

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by gprimr1

I have seen this train twice; once waiting in Baltimore (part of it was sticking out the Howard St Tunnel in Mt. Royal and I saw it again just as I was coming out of the Northbound 895 tunnel. I did a little research and I have a question.

Is Coke Express a route or just a type of hopper car?

by Cowford

Coke Express cars are OT hoppers with expanded cubic capacity to more economically handle metallurgical, or met coke. Coke is produced by "cooking" coal to drive off volatiles, thereby creating a smokeless, high heat-content fuel for blast furnances. It is much lighter than coal, hence the need for a larger car. I believe the cars can be modified (cut down) to handle coal, should the need ever arise. CSX also handles a fair amount of pet coke, which is a by-product of oil refining. This moves in standard OT hoppers.

by Engineer James

DTE uses it for standard power making. We have the Coke Express, and regula coal drags all the time, not to mention the CSX Auto Train, pulls about 50 or 60 tri-levels behind eather 2 GE's or 2 SD40's. Spectacular when coming around Plymouth Wye....