• Airport Station Opening

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by efin98

apodino wrote:I got to see the station today. Here are my comments about it.

1. A lot of passengers on the Massport Shuttle Buses missed the station, not realizing that the T had opened the new station. Hopefully that won't last long.
That's Massport's problem, can't blame the T for something Massport is responsible for. :wink:
3. There were passengers on the blue line complaining saying that the T wasted a whole bunch of money on the station when one already existed. Does he even have any idea how bad the old station was?
It was getting pretty bad due to the lack of maintnence, but it's not as bad as Maverick or Orient Heights. I am not sure if the station was meant to be the region's airport station when it was first built but from the impression of the staiton, I don't think the planners intended on the baggage or increase in passenger load.
4. A very interesting thing I saw on the blue line map in the station. The sign had wheelchair indications on some stations that were labeled over, which could indicate that they are going to be accessible in the future. One of the stations was Bowdoin.
I think it's wishful thinking on the T's part, but the other stations are on the money for wheelchairs. They are supposed to get their 50 year renovation in a year or two, after the Red Line is done and the new cars arrive.
5. There is an arrival departure monitor in the unpaid lobby, which doesn't indicate all airlines. Massport needs to work on this, although some airlines, noteably America West, use a board and not the monitors..
At least there is some indication, even if a few are left out. Some is better than none. :wink:
6. The massport bus ride to the terminals is longer than it was from the old station.
Still better than New York City's JFK to Howard Beach bus ride, now supplanted by the infamous "Airtrain"[/quote]

by apodino

apodino wrote:
I got to see the station today. Here are my comments about it.

1. A lot of passengers on the Massport Shuttle Buses missed the station, not realizing that the T had opened the new station. Hopefully that won't last long.

That's Massport's problem, can't blame the T for something Massport is responsible for.
Ed, it wasn't massports fault at all. The buses were announcing the station as the Airport Subway Station. The passengers didn't trust the announcements which were totally truthful.

by efin98

apodino wrote: Ed, it wasn't massports fault at all. The buses were announcing the station as the Airport Subway Station. The passengers didn't trust the announcements which were totally truthful.
Then they need to either learn the route by sight or learn to listen better, can't fault the MBTA or Massport for the passengers' foul ups.

by trigonalmayhem

Straying a little bit, does anyone know what the MBTA will do with all the old signs and maps from the old airport station?

It would be wicked cool to be able to get ahold of one somehow that didn't involve sneaking into the station at night with a hammer and chisel.

by efin98

Best bet would be to contact the T's PR department, as long as you are willing to pay for what you take and pay for removal and transportation from the demolition site I don't see why they won't let you do that. I would love to have an old sign from Maverick or Orient Heights, would love one of Orient Heights' system maps too if I had the money for it :(

by trigonalmayhem

Yeah, I suppose I'm a bit worried about how much they might actually want for it, though.

I'm still on a sudent's budget, so chances are I might not be able to come up with what they would ask.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

that would be nice to have on your wall, but if they want a lot, u may have to resort to the hammer and chisel, hahaha :D :D

by CSX Conductor

Apodino, as far as airline status signs, I agree with Ed, some are better then none................. the MBTA station is their property, they put those there as a courtesy

As far as the old station signs, some may be stored for future use....... (i.e. replace ones that get graffitied etc)

or use the sytem maps in other stations...................as far as the pictures, those could probably get high bids on E-Bay LOL :)

by CJ

Well, went through there yesterday (like every day) and some workers were removing all the sinage, and loading them up on these carts.. some they took down w/ care, others they just ripped right off! I guess we will see!

by trigonalmayhem

It seems to me like everytime they open new stations they love to put the new maps with the silverline included in them, so wouldn't the 'old' ones be kind of useless?

Or would they just figure that if it's a station they haven't bothered to rehab yet it's not worth wasting a new sign on?

by Ron Newman

The Massport shuttle buses take a really long, roundabout route to get from the new T station to the terminals. Anyone know if this will improve once construction is finished?

by The Collector at Court St

Yes it will. The trip from airlines to subway is pretty much as it will be. The trip from subway to airlines will change when the new inbound (to the airport) roads are finished. It will be similar to the old route except at ground level rather than elevated.

The new roads require the removal of the old station as they are in the same footprint. Look for a completion in 1 to 2 years.

by trigonalmayhem

I've been commuting to the airport every day for a couple weeks now, and there's something a little strange that I've noticed.

The station is handicapped accessible, right? elevators etc. to let people get to and from the platforms, etc.

But ... the massport shuttles to the airport, so far as I know, are not accessible. So if you're handicapped and get off at the airport station, you're trapped at it because massport seems not to care.

I know there's going to be another entrance on the other side eventually which might actually allow handicapped peoples to escape the station, but for now it's completely useless to them so far as I can tell.

by Ron Newman

The new airport station is entirely accessible. I thought that the shuttle buses were, too; are you sure they aren't?

by trigonalmayhem

Hm, According to their website they ARE wheelchair lift equipped.
I guess I just didn't see it? It seems like the kind of thing that would be hard to miss on those little buses, though.

It also says they have a seperate accessible van that you can call to have come get you.

On a different note, does anyone know when the other side of the airport station is going to be opened?