Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by W.E.Coyote

IIRC the P42's were in part bought to replace the LRC's.

The F40PH's are pretty standard power, with parts an easy find for the 645's in them. They'll be around a while longer. And Amtrak probably worked theirs harder then VIA's.

A side note, does anyone know if VIA still has their last active FP9u 6300 assigned to switching duties on the west coast?

by 2spot

VIA FP9u 6300 was being utilised as shop switcher at Vancouver but is now stored out of service there. My source for this is the Feb. 'Branchline' but it it doesnt say why its OOS. Its interesting to note that the P42DCs are all based in Montreal while the F40PH2s are based in Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal and 'unassigned'. The earlier statement that the P42s replaced the LRCs is validated by this; while F40s work passenger service across Canada.
Last edited by 2spot on Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

by DutchRailnut

gp9rm4108 has a few fact wrong the VIA P42's were purpose built by GE foir VIA and not Amtrak rejects.
The F40's for VIA were built by GMD for VIA and not Amtrak rejects.
so stop rewriting history and make up own stories.

by Ken V

2spot wrote:VIA FP9u 6300 was being utilised as shop switcher at Vancouver but is now stored out of service there. My source for this is the Feb. 'Branchline' but it it doesnt say why its OOS.
The 6300 is now back in service at the VMC after undergoing some maintenance work.

by 2spot

Thats good news, Ken V. I guess I need a newer copy of 'Branchline'.

by jwhite07

According to a recent piece in Railway Age magazine, VIA 6400 is currently undergoing a major rebuild, and VIA is seeking CDN$308 million to do all 54 units. Later rebuilds may include separate HEP generators. They will be painted in the new VIA green scheme.

by trainiax

I heard that the reason Amtrak purged their roster of F40PH's was not entirely due to age, but also due to horsepower: AMTK needed units with more than 3000 horsepower. The last AMTK units were built very late (1988) but were retired at the same time as the rest of the AMTK units, some of which went back to 1976.
  by Bear

I saw 6300 in the yard at Vancouver Aug. 2.

If you look at http://homepage.mac.com/leolash/PhotoAlbum16.html you will see 6300 as I saw her, along with 6439, both were working around the yard.

Is 6300 what is known as a D7?

by W.E.Coyote

6300 is an FP9ARM or something funny designated by VIA (FP9A, and RM fro remanufactured or rebuilt or something)

Back on F40PH's, anyone know if 6400 is out yet? I've seen sketches of it's proposed colours on the net somewhere. Looks so-so.

by Dick H

VIA 6400 spent several days in Halifax this week. Here's a video of it leaving town today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUO5PZCPIyE

Dick H
  by cnr6060

I think it looks sharp!

Paul O'Neil, Wainwright, AB

by Skullitor

Dick H wrote:VIA 6400 spent several days in Halifax this week. Here's a video of it leaving town today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUO5PZCPIyE

Dick H
Dick; great video.
Skull

by W.E.Coyote

MR77100 wrote:But the F40's never fully replaced the F-units did they?
They allowed VIA to retire a lot of their CP 1400 series F-units. Some were rebuilt into the 655x & 656x series. The majority of CN's FP9's kept racking up the miles, along with the exCN FPA4's and FPB4's.

The two E8's and RS10 inherited from CP got the axe in the mid 80's though.

by missthealcos

The non upgraded former CP F-units were all retired in 1983, the RS-10 in 1981, and the E-8's in 1982, all well before the F40's were even thought of.

The 1981 round of cuts did in the former CP units, and cancelled the upgrade program for the CP F's after only 5 A's and 3 B's were done.

If there is anything that was directly impacted by the F40's arrival, it would be the FPA/B-4 fleet, they were retired beginning with the first F40 arrivals, all gone with the last order arriving in early 89. A group of former CN FP9A's and B's were also retired in mid 89, for the same reason. The remaining B's were all eliminated at the time of the cuts in 1990, a handful of recently overhauled A units continued in service until the combined elimination of Steam heat in the Maritimes, and cancellation of the Atlantic did them in. After that, only the 6300's in dwindling numbers remained, until 6300 became the last F-unit on Via.