• Article on the WNY&P in the Olean NY Press

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Ah yes, the good old Western New York & PITTSBURGH. And it's a subsidiary of GENESEE & WYOMING INDUSTRIES? So much for fact-checking your articles...

-otto-

by Kyle_Norek

Yes, living in the Olean area I can say the Times Herald is famous for typos and errors in their newspaper, such as a memorial for someone stating that "God could see he was getting tires", as opposed to "tired", and an ad for a car stating that it "drives, but doesn't run"; and countless others. It's something to laugh at anyway.

by joshuahouse

Has anyone e-mailed this to Mr. Burt? Given that they seem to have spoken to him, I'd think he's going to be mad. Heck don't they go right by the papers offices, it clearly says pennsylvania on one of the locos? It certainly is clear about it being LAL one the others.

by nessman

The RR is aware of it. Their response to me was that they all got a laugh from the article. It's all good.

Organizations who deal with the media on a regular basis are aware that they make mistakes from time to time. Most small-town papers tend to hire inexperienced people fresh out of college who are likely to be from another area.

by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

Stories of a similar nature have appeared in other area papers, and some of them have included photos taken on board trains. Its apparent that the WNY&P is feeding the local newspapers the heads-up news releases and pics, so I'm sure they are aware of the resulting fallout (mistakes and all).

by videobruce

I hate to be as ignorant as that reporter, but what should of it been other than the ownership of the WNY&P, not being the G&W?

by med-train

How about the WESTERN NEW YORK AND PENNSYLVANIA and it belongs to LIVONIA, AVON AND LAKEVILLE. Also GWI stands for GENESEE & WYOMING INC.
I am somewhat of a neophyte also and took a minute or to to look this one up. I hope that I have it straight.
There is so much alpabet soup out there it can be hard to read some of the posts, but we have to get used to it.

by videobruce

Well, they are kinda close to one another..............

Minor mistake.