• Mass Bay RRE "Lakes Region Limmited" 5/20/06

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by GP40MC 1116

Just wondering if anyone here on railroad.net, becides a few people I Know that rode the train had anything to say about it. I was surprised, no pictures or anything on NERAIL, anyways here the chance, how was it everyone? I wanted to chase it, but.. i had to do that bad 4 letter word........ WORK!
  by hrrphil

We took the trip yesterday. :P
Great trip, weather co-operated, only a very small sprinkle while we were riding.
Photo ops were good, stationary trains, but plenty of time for pix.
we were fortunate to get on the first bus back to Concord frm Tilton/Northfield station and arrived at the car about 6:00 PM.
For the record, we made it south to mile 11.6, shortened due to track washouts.
My GPS said we traveled 46.7 miles from the point of origin, but we know the tracks go around the lakes, giving us about 61 miles traveled.

Thanks to the MBRRE crew and car hosts!!

Phil

by b&m 1566

Well I have to say the trip was very enjoyable. It was my first time on the Hobo and Winnipesaukee and although it was enjoyable it was also disappointing in some aspects. I know Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiast runs the train but there was no spokes person to point out old landmarks and historical information like that of the Conway Scenic. The Hobo section in my opinion had no scenery at all. The excitement I had from that part of the trip was stopping in Plymouth (that station is beautiful) and the falls (though I was told the Hobo doesn’t go by the falls except during autumn). The most excitement I had from the Hobo part was sitting in the Flying Yankee's B car (The Flying Yankee set to be finished in two years; I like how a gentleman commented my Flying Red Sox comment from the post I started on the Flying Yankee). Would I ride the Hobo Railroad again? Yes but more so for the enjoyment of riding on a train rather than to enjoy the scenery because I didn't think there was any. The Winnipesaukee however rivals that of the Conway Scenic and this is where my girlfriends’ camera started going off. From Meredith to Weirs Beach you have the lake with a mountainous back ground, which was awesome. From Weirs Beach to Lakeport it was a nice ride a long the like, seeing people out in the boats fishing (saw one guy catch a fish, I gave him a big thumbs up for that one). Would I ride the Winnipesaukee again? Yes I would both for the scenery and the train ride. One place I wish we had stopped was Weirs and Laconia. I have been in those areas so much and the tracks were always empty and even though I was on the train I wanted to get a few looking at the train from the stations but maybe some other time. Northfield was nice me and my girlfriend got our picture taken on the bridge with the train in the back ground and the water rushing under the bridge. From Northfield south it was cool only because I knew we were on a once in a blue moon train trip on tracks that see very little service from freight only and none from the Winnipesaukee or the Hobo Railroads. The best part was when we went through a swamp area about a mile or two north from the washout. Though the swamp made for great picture taking (my girlfriends’ camera started rolling) the best part was (and not many knew this) but the water was so high in the swamp the tracks were actually under water. Yes under water by what looked to be about 4 to 5 inches. I was one of the few people that stood at the very end of the RDC's so that way I could hang my head out the whole ride and in doing so I was able to witness the water covered tracks. My girlfriend took a picture of that as well. (They need to get an open observation car like that of the Conway Scenic.) So word has it that Mass Bay Railroad is looking for a make up run for the remainder of the trip with some other stuff added on. I was told they were looking at September 16th but that is not set in stone. After getting back to Concord me and my girlfriend stopped by the Concord yard tower to take pictures of New England Southern GP39 2370 (ex-UP 2370 exx- MKT 379) which was to be the power for the trip into Concord. We happened to run into the owner of New England Southern (Peter Dearness) and we asked him a few question on the trip. He seemed very disappointed that they couldn't make it to Concord. Peter and his crew put a lot of time and effort into getting the track ready for this trip for it all to be literately washed away. It is very frustrating for him right now but Mother Nature is going to do what she wants. They cut brush back from the tracks for the first time in years and even went as far as to cut it back all the way to the property line on each side (that was the first time they ever did that). They replaced numerous ties (which was evident through the 2nd leg of the trip). Now I know Mass Bay is looking at September 16th but according to Peter he's not so sure. There's another Caboose train coming up at that time and said it might not happen until October (right in the middle of the fall foliage season when the Hobo and Winnipesaukee will busy with there runs). Well anyways I think I will stop here for now.... I wrote too much :wink:
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Mon May 22, 2006 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by FatNoah

Thanks for the report. I wish I could have gone but prior engagements prevented it.

I would really like to ride the line from Meredith to Lincoln, despite the lack of scenery. I grew up in Laconia, so I've seen the Laconia-Meredith stretch about 100 times,. but I've never ridden north of Meredith.

by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:Well I have to say the trip was very enjoyable. (snipppage) Well anyways I think I will stop here for now.... I wrote too much :wink:

Well done Brian, thanks for the report. Yea NEGS put a crap load of work into the trip as did alot of people, i feel bad for them after all the work they did.. Im wondering how the remaining trip will fair with Hobo/Winnipesaukee's equiptment is going to be all used up for their runs from Merideth-Lakeport and for the Hobo runs up in Lincoln which means very little acess to the RDC's again. We will see what happens, but with the workload increasing, it's going to be interesting i'll tell you that much to pull it off without any problems.

by b&m 1566

I forgot to add one thing in from my "novel"; Peter also mentioned that they had rebuild one of the grade crossings and even put in new flashing lights, I believe he said it was in Canterbury??? But I can't remember.

by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:I forgot to add one thing in from my "novel"; Peter also mentioned that they had rebuild one of the grade crossings and even put in new flashing lights, I believe he said it was in Canterbury??? But I can't remember.

Yup, last time i was down @ NEGS, they were finishing up some yard work, then going to head up to Canterbury were their were finishing up the crossing as you stated, another company hooked up the lights and electrical system for that

by CSX Conductor

Someone finally posted a shot or two on NERail. :wink: