• Potential Washouts on Pemi?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by B&Mguy

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows how these heavy rains have been affecting the line between Concord and Lincoln NH. I was hoping to chase the Lakes Region Limited next Saturday between the two towns, but knowing that much of this line runs next to rivers was wondering if sections might be washed out or flooded. I know flooding put this line out of service in the early 1970s and caused a serious washout at Ashland. Hopefully that won't happen this time!

Also, could anyone tell me of some good photo locations between Concord and Lincoln that are not at former station sites? I plan to stop at all the stations as I chase the train, but was also hoping to get some pictures in other locations.

Thanks!

by Jonny Bolt

Not sure about that exact area, but I did hear about a culvert giving way leaving the tracks suspended in the air. Somewhere North of me, maybe the Rollinsford area I think.

by SLR 393

Big washout in Milton on the NHN.

by b&m 1566

I don't know of any wash outs between Concord and Lincoln but I'm sure they'll inspect the line between now and then. There was a big wash out on the line last year somewhere in the Tilton area I believe; so I'm sure that will be one area they will be looking at. I'm going on this train so I hope that nothing has happened to the track.

by GP40MC 1116

I havn't heard anything offically announced, though i know some of the people who work for New England Southern, ive gotten to know them. I may try to get up to Concord this week before Saturday and see what the story is about the line and if they need help with anything. The last major washout i remember was the one they had in Canterbury last year. I stopped in Winnipesaukee Scenic's yard in Meredith, NH this past Friday, as far as stuff their, their was the Alco S-1 958, Leo's Party Caboose, the Ice Cream car and 2 of the Hobo Coaches and then 9151 the RDC-1. On another siding their was 3 RDC's no's 6105, 6921 and 9154. So this may be some of the trainset that will be used for the Lakes Region Limited, then again im sure the rest of it is up at the Hobo in Lincoln. IF anyone has a scanner and lives close or in Concord you may want to try to listen in to their freq's this may give any insight if their are problems on the line they are fixing.

New England Southern RR
Scanner Freq's

161.025 Road
161.160 GRS Disp
161.520 Train to GRS Disp

by Dick H

Below is a notice from the NERAIL list from the MBRRE posted 5/17/06

Email to passengers booked on Mass Bay RRE's 'Lakes Region Limited' May 20:

You are undoubtedly aware of the severe rainstorms and flooding that have hit
northern New England over the past week. Regrettably, this storm has made it
necessary for Mass Bay RRE to alter plans for the "LAKES REGION LIMITED"
excursion train on Saturday, May 20.

The LAKES REGION LIMITED will operate as scheduled this Saturday, departing from
the Hobo Railroad Depot in Lincoln at 10:30 AM. Buses will depart from Concord
for Lincoln as originally planned, with the first bus leaving around 8:00 AM and
the last bus scheduled to depart at 8:30 AM.

HOWEVER, due to flood-related track damage between Concord and Northfield, NH,
the train will operate only to Northfield (about 13 miles north of Concord), or
as far south of there as we are able to go. We have arranged for buses to
shuttle passengers back to their boarding locations in Concord or Lincoln.

The Boston bus connection will operate as originally scheduled.

We realize that some passengers have booked this trip specifically to ride the
segment between Concord and Northfield. We have tentatively scheduled a
"make-up" train to operate over that trackage, and perhaps more, on Saturday,
September 16, 2006. Details of that trip will be forthcoming as they are
finalized. Any passengers who choose not to ride Saturday's train will be
offered a full refund; please call 978-470-2066 or e-mail us at
[email protected] to advise us of your plans if that is the case.

We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience you may
suffer due to this last-minute change of itinerary.

Finally, to help us ensure that we have reached as many of you as possible,
would you please send a reply to this message to [email protected] to
indicate that you have received it.

Thank you,

Trip Committee

Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiasts, Inc.

by bozotexino

GP40MC 1116 - Have you actually heard NEGS using 160.275 and 161.025?

by GP40MC 1116

bozotexino wrote:GP40MC 1116 - Have you actually heard NEGS using 160.275 and 161.025?
Negative, BUT i hang arround NEGS in Concord, NH alot and i hear them talking on the radio's so it must be on some channel