• Montpelier enginehouse fire in 1998

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by eddiebehr

The Montpelier, VT enginehouse on the Washington County RR burned about 20 years ago. Anyone have the exact date?

by shadyjay

I don't think it was 20 years ago - I recall it happening in the mid 1990s. Both of WACR's locomotives got destroyed and that's when the WACR ceased independent operation. After that, it was operated briefly by NECR, before becoming another division of the Vermont Railway.

-Jay

by b&m 1566

Did they ever figure out how the fire started? I remember hearing about it years ago but never looked into it.

by shadyjay

Did some research on the topic..

June 28, 1998, during the small hours, appeared to be an arson

Spliced together from information in Robert Lindsell's book "The Rail Lines of Northern New England", an excellent reference.

I knew I saw this somewhere.

-Jay

by viewfinder

RBP
Last edited by viewfinder on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

by shadyjay

viewfinder wrote:Are you sure this is correct? Or am I remembering the fire in the M&B enginehouse in Montpelier? The burned locos were GE 70 tonners...or were there 2 fires?
WACR was (and is) the division created by the VRS when they started operating the line, no?

To answer the first half, pretty sure, and yes. Let me elaborate....
While the book says June 28 1998, I don't remember the exact date/month off the top of my head, but I do remember hearing about it in the late 90s. The book states that the two Alco S-1 locomotives were destroyed, along with other vehicles/equipment. Now on the topic of whether there were 2 fires, there was.... again Mr Lindsell states that the structure that burned in 1998 was built to replace a similar building which had burned in Feb 1907.

Originally, the Montpelier-Barre line, stretched all the way to Wells River. It became a Pinsly line in 1956, and was cut back to Graniteville. In 1980, the railroad, then the Montpelier & Barre, filed for abandonment, but the state took over and it then became the Washington County Railroad, a banding together of of some of the big customers on the line. The WACR remained until 1999 when the NECR leased the line for a few months, before Vermont Rail System took over. They adopted the WACR name and also use it on the Conn River Line north of St J. (Ref. Rail Lines of Northern New England.... Ref. Green Mtn Rails by RWJ) (just so I make sure this info isn't my own).

-Jay

by viewfinder

RBP
Last edited by viewfinder on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

by PVRX1

Maybe your thinking of the Claremont Concord that lost 44 tonners in an enginehouse fire

by DLWDowntown

Where exactly was the engine house? I work in Montpelier, but have only been here since 2004. There has been ever-so-slightly more activity on the line during the last two months, probably just some very limited springtime maintenance. On occasion, we get some of the Green Mtn special cars parked on the line behind State St.

Walt