• Loss of Old Town and Ayer traffic

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by riffian

I was wondering how the loss of these two major shippers at the same time has affected overall traffic. Any local/yard jobs abolished? How extensive was the Old Town operation in terms of traffic for PA/Guilford? Given the overall malaise in the New England paper industry, the loss of two major shippers at the same time has to seriously hurt the bottom line. Any info/speculation appreicated.

by jonnhrr

Well Ayer was served by CSX Q274 which is now being rerouted to CP yard in Framingham so no change in number of through freights however a 50% reduction in traffic on the Worcester Main. I believe the Ayer yard jobs have been cut back - there used to be an AY-3 that no longer exists that primarily switched the Ford facility.

by roberttosh

The Old Town Mill shipped 5-7 cars a day of Woodpulp in Boxcars and brought in a few cars a week of chemicals for the pulping process. The MMA also had a local move of Woodchips that was transfered and trucked to the mill that was somewhere in the 15 car per day range, so they got hurt by this too. Losing this mill hurts the ST, but it would be a FAR tougher pill to swallow had it been one of the bigger rail shippers closing down like Sappi at Shawmut, or IP at Jay or Bucksport, which handle many more cars a day. Hopefully someone will buy the mill and re-open it to some extent.....
  by cpf354

riffian wrote:I was wondering how the loss of these two major shippers at the same time has affected overall traffic. Any local/yard jobs abolished? How extensive was the Old Town operation in terms of traffic for PA/Guilford? Given the overall malaise in the New England paper industry, the loss of two major shippers at the same time has to seriously hurt the bottom line. Any info/speculation appreicated.
It means that the Worcester Main, Ayer to Barber, now has only one daily road freight each way. That connection didn't even exist until 1990 when the covered auto racks started to be used at the facility in Ayer. They couldn't clear Hoosac at the time so Conrail and Guilford set up the arrangement for trains from the Boston Line to use the P&W Gardner Branch to get to Guilford's route to Ayer at Barber, in the northern part of Worcester. It worked out so well that the two railroad's began using it for all their freight, at the cost to the West End. At one time the Worcester main hosted two road freights each way, the rack train, Bow coal trains, and even a piggyback train. The Conrail break-up began the decline of the Barber traffic in favor of more going to NS through Mohawk on the D&H. Prior to that, Conrail didn't want to handle the coal on the Boston Line so began delivering it to Rotterdam, but that eventually went entirely to NS. The piggyback train didn't succeed. Now the racks are gone, and only one freight is left. The Worcester Main itself is plagued by slow orders so that it takes over 2 hours for trains to get from Ayer to Barber. So maybe ultimately, the Worcester Main may be a victim of the loss of the auto rack traffic.

by jwhite07

From what I can hear from my house, the Worcester Main seems to be quite alive and well. Heard at least three trains go by Sunday afternoon. I did not go down and investigate what they were or which direction they were headed, but recent trains that I have run across have been rather sizeable general freights (I assume SENE/NESE/Q-whatevertheyare). May just be the luck of the draw, but I haven't seen an autorack train in a while - has the Ayer facility been closed already?

Also, does GTI *ever* use their own locomotives on Worcester Main trains anymore? I know they used to, but in the year I've lived out here (West Boylston) I have yet to see anything but big CSX power.
  by ProRail

To answer jwhite07...

The only time GRS power heads from Ayer to Worcester is on the occasional switch by one of the locals at St. Gobain/Norton's Abrasives.

The auto-facility is closed, so there are no more auto rack trains to Ayer.

The is just Q426/SEPO and Q427/POSE. In the fall there may be a grain extra to the Horizon Milling complex in Ayer.

Only other extras are the Circus Trains going to/from Manchester.

PS - Next time save yourself the trouble of posting and call me.
Guess Who!

by jwhite07

PS - Next time save yourself the trouble of posting and call me.
Guess Who!
Roger that! Say hi to Nancy for me!