• WW&F ROW

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by trainsinmaine

A question that I've never asked, nor ever seen asked: How much of the old WW&F right-of-way is hikeable? I wish it were depicted in DeLorme's Maine Atlas and Gazetteer, but most of it isn't (the exception being the section between Albion and Burnham). One would have to check out old USGS maps. I'd love to walk some stretches of the roadbed.

by eriemike

A bunch of us chased the entire WW&F ROW about 4 to 5 years ago. It is actually pretty hard to find in some spots and others were fairly easy to find, if you know what to look for. There were some sections of the ROW that appeared to be privately owned and therefore we didn't dare tresspass.

We were able to hike a small portion of it (just a bit south of Whitefield) but even in that section it was very heavy with brush and trees. We did find a huge old steam locomotive boiler that was used as a culvert. I know that the WW&FRy Museum has or had a book on chasing the whole line.

The Museum has cleared a good section on the other side of Rt 218 and made for a nice walk. It ends just before the big cut and church at Head Tide.

Hope that this helps!
  by Agent at Clicquot

eriemike wrote:We did find a huge old steam locomotive boiler that was used as a culvert.
Get an pix?

* JB *