• What is with the SD26s

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by U-Haul

Are the SD26s going to be gone by 2007 or is Guilford going to run them until the wheels fall off? How much money would Guilford sell the SD26s for? Is Guilford suffering a motive power shortage?

BLACK History MONTH

by roberttosh

Guilford has been suffering motive power shortages since the day they came into existence.

by JAJ

U-Haul wrote:Too bad Guiliford is having locomotive shortages, but why did they not keep the good locomotives? http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=133594

Star Trek 40th Anniversary
You mean the SD40s? Traded in for GP40s...

JAJ

by Conrail

Are the SD26's gone yet? The roster says they’re still bombing around along with 619. that's not true 619 is DEAD!

by greenus90

SD 26 643 was in Nashua week of 4-12, switching EDNA I think, before the coal spill at Crown street. 3ea on the point, a GP40 and MAYBE SD45 681, not sure. But the 643 was for sure

by bozotexino

Coal spill at Crown Street???

by MEC407

643 and 621 are the only 26s still in service, on Pan Am or anywhere in the world for that matter.

by viewfinder

RBP
Last edited by viewfinder on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by mick

bozotexino wrote:Coal spill at Crown Street???
There have been problems with vandals in Nashua lately
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

by RailBus63

Given Guilford/Pan Am's penurious habits, they will run those older locomotives until they break down and cannot be economically repaired.

by greenus90

The coal spill appears to have started somewhere in the yard but close to the Crown street grade crossing and there is a lot of coal alongsinde the ballast from Crown Street all the way to bridge street. I'll post a pic over at NERail but it is kind of cruddy. Anyway I'm thinking about a hopper or two got emptied.

As far as the old power goes, you know guilford- run 'em until the wheels fall off then obtain another rent a wreck. I think it is cool because guilford is one of the few roads where the bulk of the power is straight GP40's, plus how many GP7's and GP9's are still out there (well, yeah I guess a bunch of 9's but not 7's) and like MEC407 says, only 2ea SD26's left.
I think the 681 or either of the SD26's would look great in a Pan Am livery.

by Jonny Bolt

I dont know why some people get flustered with Gillfid still using old power. Why wonder why? I think its great....I like the old power. 'Specially that Sringfield Terminal 621! :-D

by jonnhrr

643 was on LOED last Wednesday. Also 690 (the SD-39) was working an empty coal train in Gardner yesterday, which I just missed by minutes getting pictures of :(