• Anyone Want To Buy A Railroad???

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by SRS125

I know the railroad bed that there talking about I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived a block away from that line in CT. I walked it once and pulled hundreds of Date Names rangeing from 1933, 1935, 1936, and 1937 the ties were in fair shape with New Rubber railroad crossings and signals. The thing was that strreach of rail bed looked to have been abandoned for at leased 10 years or more with the amount of over brush and 4 inch thick trees growing between the rails. The P&W Abandoned that streach of line when they lost there last coustomer which was a Paper Mill located in Massachusetts? My uncles father told me that the line was eather owned by one of 3 railroads New York, New Haven, & Hartford. Boston & Maine, or Boston & Albany Railroad befor being sold to the P&W don't rember what the orignial owners name was.
  by Agent at Clicquot

bobbarbn wrote:Saw this on the news. Thompson, CT.: P&W is selling off some (more) railroad.
http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=4749042
IIRC, the route is part of the Southbridge Branch. The section mentioned in the artice is the segment that runs through CT, with most of the route in MA on either side of the section for sale.

There was a movement a foot some time back to preserve the track for use of a speeder club. Now that MA owns the r.ow., I wonder where that project is?

As far as buying an r.r., I read elsewhere the Grafton & Upton is on the block for a cool $2m. That's a better deal, imho. More route miles with the possibility of two connections to the outside world (though one would take a whole lot of work to restore service).

* JB *
  by frrc

I've heard the same rumour. Track South of Grafton Center would need some work, last time a train was on that section was 2004(?).

by b&m 1566

Maybe Guilford will purchase it, just to own it. If they buy it Guilford "Pan Am Railways" can be stubborn and cause trouble just because they can! LIKE THEY DO EVERY WHERE ELSE!!!